Options

2 weeks into new gig!

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Didn't post up the day I got the offer, but it's been 2 weeks into a new role. I had been looking for a new role for about a year, did manage to land 3 interviews and I reckon I did well in all of them but someone edged me out each time. Then this one came along for a large cloud services provider and wasn't going to let this one go past too. After 2 rounds of interviews and an informal meeting with HR, I was offered the position.

I cracked the 6 figure mark with this role, I had been targeting to get to 6 figures by age 30 and went past the mark by more than a few grand!!. Other pluses are discounted health insurance, paid training/certs and full education reimbursement. No more end-user support, no more freaking service requests (something I had been doing for over 5 years in some shape or form).

Really excited about the role, everything I could ask for. Get to work on designing and putting in a new cloud for the company. Working on System Center 2012, Windows Server 2012, Hyper-v 2012 and HP 3PAR SAN. There's a decent size vSphere infrastructure (about 50 hosts and 600 or so VM's) already in place for managed services, get to tune and work on it. Working on a design for moving 4 large clients from HP Data Protector to Commvault Simpana 9. Happy days! And busy ones at that!

To everyone on here who are starting out or struggling with work/low pay. Keep at it folks and your time will come. Never quit, never say "O this is too hard, I cant do this" or "I want a new career, IT doesn't pay well". You need to put in the time, NO ONE will hand you the keys of their network infrastructure or their vSphere or Storage setup if you haven't put in the years. You'll need to work hard to get to your goals. Have a goal or two, strive to get at least 2 certs a year. If you've put in more than a year or so in Helpdesk, move on. Keep moving forward.

You've got to put yourself out of your comfort zone. After you've been in a role for 3 years or so, you tend to relax, there isnt much to challenge you. That's when you should get out of there, do not wait for things to happen. Make them happen.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congratulations! I love seeing other people's success stories, especially the ones that prove that hard work, dedication and determination all pay off if you keep at it!
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I love seeing other people's success stories, especially the ones that prove that hard work, dedication and determination all pay off if you keep at it!

Seconded! Congrats!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats man! Excellent advice there.
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I like your determination and confidence, I think the same way as you. Hopefully I will be in the same position in the future :)
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the advice!!
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Awesome job on that! I'm thrilled to hear you've moved up! Glad to hear you hit your salary mark too. Time for me to play catch up. Get some good learning out of that environment as well, it sounds like you get to play with some really fun toys there.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man!!! Nice to see so many people cracking the six figure mark, hope I get there soon.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Congrats Ess. Couldn't think of anyone worthy of a leg up. Enjoy it.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! It's YOU that make me work and study hard to get to where I want to be.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Essendon - congrats on achieving your own private cloud! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ess nice work! I hope the trend continues!
  • Options
    umarbhattiumarbhatti Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats mate, i guess the job market in Au is not all doom and gloom. I am looking to jump ship next yr early 2013 lets see what happens.
  • Options
    @umarbhatti, you arent far from the truth mate. There isnt much out there these days. Just look out for the new roles that come along and bang out your resume the moment you see a new role on Seek/MyCareer. Most roles on the job boards are just repeats with the agencies doing little more than shoring up their resume banks. If you want to change roles, apply today, apply now. Dont wait for next year (unless you're going on holidays over the Xmas break).
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Essendon wrote: »
    To everyone on here who are starting out or struggling with work/low pay. Keep at it folks and your time will come. Never quit, never say "O this is too hard, I cant do this" or "I want a new career, IT doesn't pay well". You need to put in the time, NO ONE will hand you the keys of their network infrastructure or their vSphere or Storage setup if you haven't put in the years. You'll need to work hard to get to your goals. Have a goal or two, strive to get at least 2 certs a year. If you've put in more than a year or so in Helpdesk, move on. Keep moving forward.

You've got to put yourself out of your comfort zone. After you've been in a role for 3 years or so, you tend to relax, there isnt much to challenge you. That's when you should get out of there, do not wait for things to happen. Make them happen.

Those right there in bold are the keys to success!

Congrats on your new position.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @Essendon - congrats on achieving your own private cloud! icon_thumright.gif

I see what you did there.. Congrats on the job and congrats on the pay. I hope to acheive a similar goal by the time I hit 30 as well. Got a lot of work ahead of me.
  • Options
    Mjstokes90Mjstokes90 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations