Options

Network Admin interview question prep

alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I have an interview for a Jr. Network Administration position for a federal contractor and I was just curious as to what questions I should be prepared for?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Anything and everything. There is no way for any of us to know what questions they will ask. Just make sure you can speak to everything you have listed on your resume.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you share a bit about the position we may be able to come up with possible topics.
  • Options
    alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about that, the Manager at the site basically said that I would be working in the data center alongside the senior administrator working with the switches. He also stated that it would be good to have some system admin knowledge as well.

Here is a copy of what the job description states:

Responsibilities

installation, configuration and upgrade for desktop and server hardware, software and peripherals.
    Schedule and monitor back-up, perform maintenance and upgrades to Windows and MS SQL server.
    Provide system documentation and assist in mentoring help desk personnel.
    Maintaining the performance of Windows, Unix, and IP network components.
    Maintaining our information security platforms that include but are not limited to: desktop agents, Virtual Private Networks (VPN), DMZs, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, access controls, and PKI.
    Recommending hardware and software purchases.
    Analysis of existing group policy objects and development of new GPO as required
    Comprehensive understanding of Active Directory security controls and their effective implementation.
  • Options
    TrentMikeTrentMike Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got a few:

Installation, configuration and upgrade for desktop and server hardware, software and peripherals.
    How you go around getting a report on what operating systems are running in the organization along with applications (MAP toolkit)
    What would you recommend as a way to upgrade desktops (SCCM)

Schedule and monitor back-up, perform maintenance and upgrades to Windows and MS SQL server
    How would you schedule and monitor backup (depends on what software/scripts are used)
    learn difference types of maintenance that should be done (Patching using WSUS, regular defragmentation (diff for SQL), clearning old temp files etc

Provide system documentation and assist in mentoring help desk personnel.
    Do a search of what kind of wiki you can setup,or WSS (free)
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I love the JOAT responsibilities. I wish I could find something like that around here!

As for the questions, expect questions on everything. I would bet you will get some on server roles/issues.