Options

Should I accept this IT internship?

davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Potential new job
I was interviewed for an IT intern position which will last for 1 year from January. I will be working 20hrs/week during the school semester and 40hrs/week during the Summer. The job consists of general technical support.

Pros:
Allows me to work until at least January 2014
Potential advancement to a systems analyst (not guaranteed)

Cons:
Pays $2.50 less per hour

Current job
I currently work at my university also doing technical support for 20hrs/week. This job (technically not an internship) will only allow me to work until May because I will graduate by then.

Pros:
I really like the people I work with and like this job more than any other I've ever had
Convenient because it is at my university
Flexible hours
Pays $2.50 more per hour
I get to use a Macbook for school and work

Cons:
I will not longer be allowed to work after May 2013

Should I accept this offer?

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would take the new position, based on the fact that it isn't through your school and has opportunity for advancement.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I would take the new position, based on the fact that it isn't through your school and has opportunity for advancement.

You also get to meet a whole new group of people, expand your personal network and that could lead to more opportunities in the future.

Even though the jobs sound very similar you will likely discover new ways of doing things, see new technologies and processes that will help round-out your resume.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    take the new job.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    What is the potential at the school you work at? I currently work at a college and I have seen quite a few people that intern at my school get jobs at the school after they graduate. Schools usually have decent pay, good benes, and really good stability.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would take the new position, as long as the pay cut doesn't cripple you.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I really don't have enough information to properly answer this question.

1. Will either job meet your living expenses?
    2. Are you trying to get more experience doing basic technical support?
    3. Do you have any aspirations to go higher?

I can't tell that either job is better than the other one, as the only differences I notice are these:
    a - current job pays more, but is over in May.
    b - other job pays $2.50 less, but lasts longer

I'm not sure that I see any positive to taking a pay cut right now.

Could you describe more how your current financial situation permits the pay cut to not matter, and maybe you're getting superior experience, or something?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @davidboy - there's probably too many other intangibles that will make it difficult to offer any meaningful advice. As instant000 pointed out, finances are only one dimension of the equation.

A few things came to my mind:

1) You characterized the new opportunity as an internship. It sounds like you already have an IT job so going into an internship could potentially be seen as a backwards step in career progression.

2) Would the new internship offer you more responsibilities and opportunity to learn? That could be another factor.

3) Could you do both? Could you cut your hours down at both jobs and continue your job hunt for when you graduate in May? The internship could be a safety net in case you cannot find a job in May.

4) Could you delay the start of the internship and continue your job hunt for full-time employment?

5) Is the internship employer willing to consider a more meaningful opportunity? What about an internship until you graduate and then they convert you to a full-time employee. The fact that they are only considering an internship until 2014 tells me that (a) they do not expect that there is enough sustaining work to hire someone full-time or (b) this is a temporary solution until the job is eliminated or filled by someone else.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that my current job provides me a Macbook to use for work, school and home. I dont have my own laptop and Im not sure if the new job would allow me to take a laptop home for school use.
    instant000 wrote: »
    I really don't have enough information to properly answer this question.

1. Will either job meet your living expenses?
    2. Are you trying to get more experience doing basic technical support?
    3. Do you have any aspirations to go higher?

I can't tell that either job is better than the other one, as the only differences I notice are these:
    a - current job pays more, but is over in May.
    b - other job pays $2.50 less, but lasts longer

I'm not sure that I see any positive to taking a pay cut right now.

Could you describe more how your current financial situation permits the pay cut to not matter, and maybe you're getting superior experience, or something?
    1) Either will provide living expenses. I would earn more at my current job but I would have the opportunity to be employed for an extra 7 months.
    2) Not necessarily. I do want to work my way up to some sort of systems analyst position or project manager. I wouldnt mind be a systems administrator either but it seems it has a lower ceiling for skill and earning potential (correct me if Im wrong).
    3) Yes
    paul78 wrote: »
    @davidboy - there's probably too many other intangibles that will make it difficult to offer any meaningful advice. As instant000 pointed out, finances are only one dimension of the equation.

A few things came to my mind:

1) You characterized the new opportunity as an internship. It sounds like you already have an IT job so going into an internship could potentially be seen as a backwards step in career progression.

2) Would the new internship offer you more responsibilities and opportunity to learn? That could be another factor.

3) Could you do both? Could you cut your hours down at both jobs and continue your job hunt for when you graduate in May? The internship could be a safety net in case you cannot find a job in May.

4) Could you delay the start of the internship and continue your job hunt for full-time employment?

5) Is the internship employer willing to consider a more meaningful opportunity? What about an internship until you graduate and then they convert you to a full-time employee. The fact that they are only considering an internship until 2014 tells me that (a) they do not expect that there is enough sustaining work to hire someone full-time or (b) this is a temporary solution until the job is eliminated or filled by someone else.
    2) I'm not sure. I'm assuming it is more or less the same as what I am doing but probably in a more boring environment.
    3) Im pretty sure the schedules will conflict but I will ask as soon as I talk to the recruiter on Monday.
    4) I cannot delay it
    5) I dont believe so
  • Options
    Just an update guys:

I was offered the new position and was told I can work anywhere from 10-20 hours per week and they are very flexible with the hours that I work. I accepted and will be keeping both jobs for this semester and am looking to total 30 hours per week.
  • Options
    DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be adventurous! Besides, you don't wanna look back on the situation saying "I probably shoulda taken that job"!!!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @davidboy - sounds like the perfect outcome. Congrats icon_cheers.gif