Watches

sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
i'm about 15 yrs in my IT career. i've constantly increased my salary each year and now i'm looking to invest in a solid timepiece. i've always purchased watches that were in the $50-200 range and none of these watches have had longevity. my g-shock is a tough watch, but doesn't work in some consulting settings. i'm considering a nice Rolex or Omega. have any of you guys purchased watches for work or have any suggestions? so far i like the Omega Aqua Terra and the Rolex Datejust II. the Rolex Explorer II and Omega Speedmaster are also on my radar.
"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comments

• log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I have a Tissot watch that I'm inlove with ;)
    reloj-tissot-sport_prs_330_t036_417_17_057_02.jpg
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    do you use the tachymeter function at all?
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got a Citzen Eco-Drive that I enjoy. It is titanium and is kind of heavy. They claim the time is accurate within 30 seconds per year, but mine in particular is accurate to 5 seconds per year. I rarely wear it at work though due to never knowing what I may walk into. Being a network guy you can be sitting at a desk but you can also be hanging from the rafters trying to find some undocumented fiber. Too great a risk of getting beat up. There is a Tag Heuer store at the Aria in Las Vegas that I visited a couple times while I was on trips out there. I think that may be my next watch purchase but you're looking at about $2000. My Citizen was either $495 $595 I think.

Watches - Swiss Luxury Watches For Men and For Women | TAG HEUER
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a few watches. All of which are pretty nice.

You can go with a Skagen Denmark: Shop Online for Men's Watches, Women's Watches, Jewelry and more! which is an overall nice watch that you can wear with everything and is lightweight and looks nice. Get tons of compliments on it

Also, I have had a Men's GUESS Watches: Shop GUESS watches for men | GUESS watch for a few years now and it has stood the test of times. Still get compliments to this day

Newest to the collection is Amazon.com: Invicta Watches: Watches

I think the next on the list will be a David Yurmanicon_thumright.gif Can't wait!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    The awesome solution, this thing works via BlueTooth. It will lock your computer when you walk away from it and will sound off if you start to leave your phone somewhere. Pretty cool in my opinion:

BLUETOOTH WATCH - G-SHOCK - CASIO
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm stupid, I never wear a watch, but listening to rap music for over 20 years has convinced me that I need a rolex....

so whenever I hit the payday that I think I deserve, my first present to me will be a rolex
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    that bluetooth g-shock is pretty cool. i'm going to be doing a large share of pre-sales and business meetings with baller sales guys & girls. i kinda want to fit the part. i need something that's versatile on installs as well as presales meetings with execs, etc.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Breitling is pretty cool. Not too familiar with their watches though. I like the Montbrillant.

so far I'm debating the Omega Speedmaster "Moonwatch" I like the price and the history, but I know I won't use the chronograph.

The TAG Carrera SpaceX and the Rolex Datejust II 41mm or Rolex Explorer II 42mm
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bought a rolex datejust pre-owned for 3,200 about five years ago, then traded it in a year later for a pre-owned submarinaer that still had the plastic on it, I've never regretted it, its pretty much the one luxury item I own and my prize poession, I say go rolex, you only live once and their considered among the best time pieces in the world, it'll hold its value and in lots of causes appreciate.

The only thing I don't like about the sub is its too heavy to type with, so if you plan to use it everyday buy a datejust, I really miss my datejust, but I just couldn't afford two.
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know if anything here will work for you but I love some of the watches on this site...

LEDWatchStop.com - LED Watch Stop
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For a proper timepiece you would want to consider Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin or Audemars Piguet.
    A Lange and Sohne and Jaeger-LeCoultre could also be worth considering.
  • DoctorYikesDoctorYikes Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 Skagen Denmark. Classy looking, high quality, doesn't break the bank.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The green sapphire Rolex Milgauss is the best looking watch made in my opinion. That being said, take a look at Lum-Tec (Lum Tec, LLC). Sold watches that won't break the bank. I'm also a fan of the U-Boat watches since they are larger in diameter. 45mm+ in size.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I have a Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic. Love it. It's a very good everyday watch. Anobomski, he mentioned Rolex and Omega, both brands that typically run in the 4-10k range depending. You mentioned some very expensive ones that most people wouldn't be able to consider. I know a Piquet that I looked at was in the 22k range.
    @Anobomski yeah, the watches mentioned were out of my range. i'm looking to spend 3-9K at the most.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here is my first choice for watches: Watches | Kobold Watch Company, LLC

After that I would look at Tag and after that I would look at highend Victorinox Swiss Army watches, and timepieces from Switzerland