Net + experience

JITJIT Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yesterday, I sat for Net +. It took me more than an hour to complete the test. Out of 72 questions, around 50 questions were quite easy/straight forward, such as identifying port/protocols. But some questions were weird. The questions were not difficult but confusing. For example, whether Apple talk uses Route information protocol/identifying technology behind NAS etc. One question was on choosing between Ping and Tracert. I answered these questions based on POE, and that clicked. I scored 860. I feel my luck has favored me more rather than my knowledge.

I have used Groth and Microsoft Net + book. Everybody praises Groth. I do not think this book is as good as all say. The book covers only surface knowledge of subject. The best is about two bonus exams. In my opinion, if anybody scores high 80 on these two bonus exams, one will easily pass Net + test. Microsoft book, though many a time tangent, is very informative, and goes into fundamental, which I like most.

This board is fantastic. Hats off to you guys, Webmaster, Bellboy, RussS et all. I feel amazed how you people devote your time and energy free for this board. I used your mock exams both for my A+ and Net+. The tests are really good. Keep it Up. My whole hearted appreciation to all of you!!!

For me, one phase is over. I now move to Java (Java Ranch). I love the language. I learnt a little bit of Java during my MBA (e-business development course) program.

Good luck to everybody!!!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats JIT, and thanks for the kind words!
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats JIT - sounds like you knew the subject matter well enough and didn't let a few oddball questions throw you icon_smile.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    don't forget that book authors only have the exam objectives to base their books on - they do not get access to all the questions beforehand to write their information on. i had a microsoft book for my a+, read it a few times, thought it wasn't any good and stuck with my other books.

i found some questions a bit sticky in the exam too, but at the end of the day - unless the pass mark is 100%, you are not expected to know everything completely. some things i can only pick up through experience and, based on what i do know so far, i hope i can work them out.

i sometimes get my tcp/ip utils mixed up too. only the ones i have used outside of study are the ones i actually know.
    A+ Moderator
  • sawyersawyer Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JIT wrote:
    I have used Groth and Microsoft Net + book. Everybody praises Groth. I do not think this book is as good as all say. The book covers only surface knowledge of subject. The best is about two bonus exams. In my opinion, if anybody scores high 80 on these two bonus exams, one will easily pass Net + test.

i am sitting this test Thursday the 3rd and am also using Groth and Transcenders - I've scored well on Transcenders, the Bonus exams on the Groth book were the HARDEST icon_eek.gif i've taken of any practice exam - some of the Qs were not covered in the book (build an ISDN switch!). I'm glad i'm not the only one who felt this way. now i'm wondering if i should reschedule! icon_confused.gif:
    Breathe in all the diesel fumes
    Admire the concrete landscaping
    And doesn't it feel free...
  • JITJIT Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Sawyer,

If you understand and answer Transcender questions confidently, you will definitely pass the test. What I have experienced is that around 50 questions are quite straightforward, such as at which OSI layer such and such components/protocols lie. If you block a particular port, what will be affected. I think answering around 50 questions correctly is enough to pass the test. Also remember, out of 72 questions, some questions are experimental, do not count to score.

GOOD LUCK!
  • jeff CQjeff CQ Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also remember, out of 72 questions, some questions are experimental, do not count to score.

You mean you can miss some questions and they just might be questions that dont even count? is this true? icon_confused.gif:
    CQ Services, Inc.
    ISP, Repair, Web Hosting, Web Design, Online Advertising, & Computer Sales
  • JITJIT Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes my friend, it is true! At the begining of the test, it is mentioned.