Options

New Year's resolutions?

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
For those of you like me that make New Year's resolutions (and maybe shouldn't) what are yours?

Me:

1. Finally finish the CCNA icon_rolleyes.gif

2. Move up to some sort of networking role, whether administration or NOC.

I know for one hate to make them because I feel I'm likely not to achieve them. Goals are good things though if we don't make them unachievable.

Comments

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally i'd like to loose 50 lbs and get my CISSP
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To move to Houston and gain a job.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get my CCNP out the way, I have got distracted over the last year, with new jobs and moving house, now I am settled down I want to get it out the way but the summer and then concentrate on some security certs.

Outside of IT, nothing special apart from getting back on my bike, want to complete at least two charity rides this year if i can, and put in more than 1000 miles in the saddle.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hit the gym, fix the backyard and clean the darn garage!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get fitter, my CCDP, NP:SP, IE written and see my country a little more.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    - See veritas_libertas & MAC_Addy get their CCNA Certs.
    - Pay off my car.

- Watch all of the Alien & Predator movies within a 24 hour span. COLOR=#00ff00]Achivement Unlocked[/COLOR
    - Watch all terminator movies within 24 hours [In Progress- 25% Complete]
    - Watch all Jurrasic Park movies within 24 Hours. COLOR=#00ff00]Achivement Unlocked[/COLOR
    - Watch all Lord of the Ring movies within 24 Hours.
    - Watch Star Wars: Episode 1-6 within 48 Hours.
    - Play all of Command and Conquer: Tiberium / Red Alert universe within 6 Months.
    - Watch all of Battle Star Galactica... All. Movies, Mini-Series, and Caprica spin-off - 1 Weeks
    - Watch all of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Including Movies. - 3 Months.

- Pass Linux+ Exams 101/102.
    - Pass CCNA:Voice
    - Pass CCNA:Security
    - Get a tech Part-time Job.

- Buy the books I have yet to buy
    - Refresh my Mens Health Membership.
    - Eat less PBnJ.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Continue studying on my masters along with the new course changes (virtual labs, 10 weeks instead of 8, and others), and if possible begin the new MCSA 2012 (70-410, 70-411, and 70-412). Later pass 70-413 and 70-414 to get MCSE 2012 Server Infrastructure.

In my work I would like to be promoted to IT Director and get a pay raise by summer :D
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Get back to gym on a more regular basis (more than twice a week, want to shoot to get back in 4 days a week like I use to)

Maybe spend less time labbing/studying and more time hanging with friends, but we'll how that one goes. (At least till my CCIE lol)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Get back to the gym (I don'nt need to loose weight but need to tone up a little)
    Become advanced in Linux (Red Hat Enterprise Server) & Hadoop by Summer time

Most importantly, I need to take cert exams lol. I study these tests, purchase all the books and read them but I don't take the tests. I apply the knowledge at my job but I need to get motivated to get out there and take the exam.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I have a few but I know not all of them are realistic:
    -Eat better foods and cook at home
    -Be more disciplined about my study schedule
    -Get through grad school
    -Be a tad more disciplined with my spending
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Back in shape - climb 5.11 gear and 5.12 sport again.
    More security stuff.
    Learn how to pick locks.
    Back to doing volunteer photo work for dog/cat rescues.
  • Options
    chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    - Get my CCNA:S, GIAC, and GWAPT or OSCP
    - Finish BS - IT Sec at WGU
    - Learn Python
    - Get back in the gym more
    - Fix up my chevelle.

All that should keep me pretty busy.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    -Start Dave Ramsey's Total Money makeover to get our of debt
    -Attempt to pass ICND2 before November so that my ICND1 doesn't expire
    -Attempt to get back to WGU after debt issues resolved.

Not much, but enough that me and the misses need to be disciplined enough to accomplish them.

*if there is time, find my networking job*
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Graduate.
    Get better job.
    Get in better shape - too much time sitting on my butt, studying Java these days....I hate Task 4...
    Start on the CCNA.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Professional: CCNP if I stay in the networking realm, CISM/CISA if I return to IA. PMP/CAPM after either as a nice to have for upward management. Learn some kind of programming language to broaden my horizons.

Personal: Finally join up with the local CrossFit gym. With time being so limited, I've had tons of friends who swear that doing it three times a week for an hour each session kicks your @$$ so much harder than just going to the gym. Let's see what the hype is about. Along with that, restart my Weight Watchers program. I was doing well and was close to my weight goal but then got lazy and stopped going. I haven't gained back all the weight I lost but definitely want to get back to where I need to be. All of this because I noticed that when I was getting close to my weight goal and eating healthy, studying was easier, I was less tired while reading and seemed to retain more information (probably because I wasn't tired while studying) Hopefully that holds true as I'm planning for the CCIE mountain in 2014.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Another year, another bunch of resolutions.......
    • Attain SQL 2008 certification ("I think I can, I think I can......I know I can"...been putting this off way too long)
    • Pass the three degree modules I am registered for.
    • Pass Java OCA (linked to one of my degree modules which is introductory java programming)
    • Attempt the CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) exam by year end
    If, and only if, I manage to complete the first three listed above will I make an attempt on the SQL 2012 MCSA upgrade exams.

On a more personal level I'd like to spend more time with my family, find more time to go to the gym and finally get around to doing the household chores I have been promising my wife I will do over the last 3 years lol
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ok. missed my 2012 Goals by a wide margin and for this year i have worked out as to how not to loose sight of my overall goals ( after setting them ) hope it works well

- Finish by MCSA 2008 ( 640 & 646 ) & Renew my CCNA
    - Find a Better Job & move in to a Network Admin role (preferably )
    - Personally : Spend more time with my Family & my 4 months old Son icon_smile.gif

Wishing you all good luck with your Goals and Targets for this year icon_smile.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd just like to come a little closer to finishing my degree so that I can focus more on the linux part of my career and maybe work a daytime schedule. So I guess my new years resolution would be to get back to studying and stop BS'ing around at work so much. Besides, I'm making so much now that next year will be my last year qualifying for a grant and I'm going to have to pay off the rest of school with student loans so I'm going to make the most of it.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    - Better study schedule
    - Less time watching TV...dam you family guy reruns! why do I keep watching when I have seen them all!?!
    - Knock out most of the CCNP:SP
    - get my mustang to over 400hp
    - take the gf somewhere tropical for a week
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me
    1.finish CCNa
    2.get a job
    3.buy an i-pad with my first salary
    4.make a trip to mexico/miami anywhere is fine
    5.loose 5kgs of weight
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    - See veritas_libertas & MAC_Addy get their CCNA Certs.
    Yep.

First off - my wife and I just found out she's pregnant! Woot! So we're having a baby this year!! :)

1: Build my wife a table. Bought the wood yesterday, starting tonight.
    2: Build my wife a chalk board to show pregnancy progress. (just finished last night).
    3: Finish Insanity. I'm on day 35 of 60. This is my 4th time doing this.
    4: Move to OKC
    5: Get my CCNA.
    6: Start studying for CCNA:Voice
    7: If I finish CCNA: Voice, then move onto CCNP:Route.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Get back in the gym during my lunch hour on a regular basis.

I think if I can accomplish this consistently and maintain the right attitude everything else will fall into place. Years ago when I worked out and felt better physically I ended up eating healthier, getting more sleep, feeling less stress and studying was a lot easier due to lack of stress.

So I am just focusing on this for the time being.
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never understood New Years resolutions. If something comes up in my life that I feel should be changed, I address it then/there. Why do people wait until an arbitrary date to make a change that most of them don't even follow through with? Maybe I'm being a scrooge, but it just never made sense to me.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree thegoodbye, but I guess some people just need that extra motivation of a resolution to get them going. I guess that's why the gym is always packed the beginning of Jan and slowly fades off in a week or two!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    People just see the start of a new year as a time to reflect on what they would like to see happen within a year from now and set new goals going forward I imagine, I get it.icon_wink.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to live the same way i have lived every year, staying happy and make the best of every situation
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    1. Get a much higher paying job than I have now.
    2. Figure out where to find the time to get said job with a 2 year old and a new baby and stay sane while trying to get there.
  • Options
    staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just two for me -
    1. Finish CCNA
    2. Learn Python

No reason for the second one, I just need an excuse to buy a couple of Raspberry PIs :D
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. Not take any certification exams this year!
    2. Work on my masters degree
    3. Create a thread on TE to get me more reputation (maybe Ill do one for my experiences with my upcoming grad classes)
    4. Continue working out past the 2 week mark into the new year!
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Buy my first rental property, if it all goes well get two more this year icon_lol.gif
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore