Options

CCENT or CCNA

superbinkeysuperbinkey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am planning on completing my CCNA by Jan 31st, but I wanted to what what everyone thought of taking either CCNA as 1 test or 2 test. I've heard that the CCNA can be diffucult because its so broad, and I was wondering if the CCENT is more focused. Just trying to get an idea before I purchase a voucher and scheudule my test.....I am planning on completing my CCNA by Jan 31st, but I wanted to what everyone thought of taking either CCNA as 1 test or 2 tests. I've heard that the CCNA can be difficult because it’s so broad, and I was wondering if the CCENT is more focused. Just trying to get an idea before I purchase a voucher and schedule my test.....

Comments

• Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't taking any of the test, but from what I heard if your not doing this every day, it is recommended to take the test in 2 parts.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Joshuab009Joshuab009 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The magic question. I believe the one test two test discussion deals with your experience and confidence. Looking at the exam objectives, what do you feel more confident with? Don't let your nerves get you. (A smart man will be nervous regardless)
  • Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    Eat the elephant one bite at a time.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Depends how much experience you have in Cisco networking. If you are confident you can answer everything across the board then take the CCNA. When I first studied I was still new to Cisco so I broke it down to two exams.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like, and did the two test approach for a couple reasons:
    1) Cheaper to fail.
    2) Less topics to study.
    3) I was unfamiliar with cisco testing - this isn't a CompTIA exam!

I failed ICND2 the first time, so the "cheaper" part paid off.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    superbinkeysuperbinkey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Roguetadhg I like your approach it was the same thing i was thinking. I dont have much expericence with CISCO and was thinking the 1 test at a time would be best. What did you use to study?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always suggest the one test route and is what I did myself. I don't really see the benefit of going the two test route. I like to get the testing part over in as little steps as possible. Either way you have to learn and retain the same amount of information.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I always recommend those I mentor to do take the two test route. Greater chance of success and the subject matter is more granular than the one-shot. Of course these are kids who are virgin to Cisco networking. The ICND2 is exponentially harder than the ICND1 considering the amount of material that's covered. Most of the seasoned guys I know take the one-shot since their experience aids them. And by experienced I mean expired CCNAs. Personally I'd have taken a different test to recertify, but some people don't have the motivation, desire, or need to obtain new or higher level certs.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)