CCNA Expiry / Structure query

GCM25GCM25 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I to date have only passed CCNA semesters 1 & 2

My questions are;

1. Do these qualifications expire and if so after how long? ()

2. Do you actually need these to obtain the CCNA? ie do you have to pass semsters 1, 2, 3 & 4 then a big exam? I'm really unsure of the structure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Passing the semesters do bot give you any qualifications (except maybe some sort of credit at your particular school) so there is nothing to expire.

You do not need any of the semesters to do the actual CCNA exam. They are completely separate.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • GCM25GCM25 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks a lot for that.

So basically studying the semesters is just a preparation technique for the main exam which gives you the CCNA qualification?
    Yep you got it. It also gives you school credits towards your degree usually.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

One last question on this (i promise).

I studied semesters 1 & 2 about 5 years ago. Now my local college is running a class on semester 3, starting in a few weeks.

Is each semester fairly individual / seperate or is the the knowledge from the prior semesters vital as you progress?

Sorry i havent worded that very well. Just wondering if it would be wise to enroll for this course after so much time having passed since i did semesters 1 & 2 and i'd only have about a week and a half to re-familiarise myself with them before the course started.

Thanks again.
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    My school did the CCNA Discovery track, and I can say with all confidence that the semesters definitely built upon each other. If you haven't had any exposure to networking and/or Cisco within the last 5 years, you would probably have a heck of a time ahead of you trying to get spun back up for a 3rd semester class.
    Thanks.

Not the answer i was hoping for, but thanks.
    You might be able to catch yourself up with some self study. I haven't personally taken the courses, but I'd assume what jdballinger said would be true. Jumping back in the middle would probably be quite difficult if you don't have a solid foundation.

Good luck!