Options

Which should I take the Server 2012 Track of 2008?

NamaSayaRubenNamaSayaRuben Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I meant:
[h=2]Which should I take the Server 2012 Track OR 2008?[/h]
I passed the 70-680 last year, but I noticed they changed the paths all up again and further Server 2012 is on in the path of course.

I already have a job managing Server 2008 and Windows 7 machines. However any suggestions if I should go for the MCITP/MCSA server 2008 path or 2012? Any real disadvantage of staying on the 2008 path? I find it easier to pass hopefully since I work with it already.

Comments

• Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Go for 2008 sa, then upgrade to 2012.
  • Options
    NamaSayaRubenNamaSayaRuben Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, forgot about upgrades for some odd reason. Thanks again.
  • Options
    xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just been through this decision myself.
    I was a little mislead by the MS pages saying the 2008 tracks were being retired 31 July 2013, but after some more reading it's just the MCITP name is being retired and it will essentially become MCSA 2008 to bring it in line with the MCSA/MCSE 2012 certs.

Given I have used 2008 (R2) servers for about three years now, and there is plenty of study material available (I have a CBT nuggets account), I am going to do my MCSA 2008 cert first (640, 642, 646)
    From here I will probably look at doing just the upgrade exam (417).
    At this point in time CBT nuggets only have course material for 410, and have almost completed 411. Hopefully by the time I get through MCSA 2008 they will have started on 412 and I can at least do the course material before attempting it.

So my track is going to be

640, 642, 646 - giving me MCSA 2008
    +
    417 - giving me MCSA 2012 (might even leave this till a while down the track after some real world experience with 2012)
    or
    410, 411, 412 (depends if I feel like doing them one at a time)

However before I probably attempt any of the 2012 exams I will look at doing some exchange or other onces
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was reading this thread, because it helps to answer some of my own questions. So, I hope you don't mind, if I add a question to this thread, instead of starting my own.

I just lost my job after 20 years with the Company. I have A+, Net +, and I am finding my lack of server experience in recent years is hindering me from getting the type of job I want, making the type of money I need to earn.

Is ok to go right to the MS Server exams, or do I need to an MCP, or MCTS first? I don't have a lot of time-about 6 months. I'd love to all the MCSA 2008 exams (640, 642, and 646). But, I think I just need to be able to say that with my extensive background in Infrastructure, Desktops, I have the basics of server setup/management.

Thanks for your thoughts and time. Happy New Year!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    @REID8968: You'll be just fine if you have that much experience backing you up. Six months would be plenty for three exams even if you were coming into the server world for the first time, in my opinion. Go for the MCSA 2008 track right off the bat, it'll earn you a couple of MCTS titles while you're going, and it'll look great on your resume once you're done.

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    @REID8968: You'll be just fine if you have that much experience backing you up. Six months would be plenty for three exams even if you were coming into the server world for the first time, in my opinion. Go for the MCSA 2008 track right off the bat, it'll earn you a couple of MCTS titles while you're going, and it'll look great on your resume once you're done.

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif

Thank you! So, do I do 2008, 0r 2003? I got a lot out of the tech notes when I studied for A+/Net+. But I don't see tech notes for 2008, only 2003 MCSA path? What others are offering good resources for test prep? Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it!
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can upgrade a Windows 2008 MCSA to Windows 2012 with a single test. But, for some reason you cannot upgrade an MCITP: EA to an MCSE 2012 with one test. I was originally planning on getting the MCITP: SA and then the MCITP: EA. But, now I might just get the MCITP:SA/MCSA 2008, then upgrade it to MCSA 2012 with the single upgrade test, and then take the two tests for the MCSE 2012. It would take 3 more tests to get the MCITP: EA and I would have to pass them all by July.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    At this point, I wouldn't spend any time on the 2003 technology certs, go right into 2008 and go from there.

• Options
    Thank you! 2008, then do upgrade to 2012.
  • Options
    REID8968 wrote: »
    What others are offering good resources for test prep?
    Have a look at the sticky threads that correspond to 70-640 and 70-642 in our own Microsoft forums, as a start.

• Options
    Awesome resources! Thank you Mr. Moderator. You are always wise!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    You can upgrade a Windows 2008 MCSA to Windows 2012 with a single test. But, for some reason you cannot upgrade an MCITP: EA to an MCSE 2012 with one test. I was originally planning on getting the MCITP: SA and then the MCITP: EA. But, now I might just get the MCITP:SA/MCSA 2008, then upgrade it to MCSA 2012 with the single upgrade test, and then take the two tests for the MCSE 2012. It would take 3 more tests to get the MCITP: EA and I would have to pass them all by July.

This is the route I am taking. At this point in my career, I just need to be certified on a current version of Windows Server, and I'm not planning to be exclusively engineering Microsoft solutions, so it won't be worth my time to do the three extra tests for the :EA designation. I already have all the MCSE 2003 specializations, so it's pretty clear that I know Active Directory, Security, and Messaging. Once I upgrade MCSA 2003 > MCSA 2008 > MCSA 2012, I might some day jump to MCSE 2012, but I'm not going to bother doing that for MCITP:EA.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...