Options

Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012

djcdjc Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
My previous post with the same title is foobar'd. Not sure what happened... here it is again:

I'm thinking about getting this book:
Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012

BARNES & NOBLE | Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 by Ian McLean | Paperback

1. has anyone read it? is it good? I recall getting a Microsoft Press book some time ago and it was horribly inaccurate. That was several years ago now though, have they gotten better?

2. There is also a bundle coming out in April that includes this book and the other 2 needed for MCSA on server 2012. I don't want to wait until April... anyone know if the book in the bundle will be the exact same? or might it be an updated (potentially more accurate) version?

3. does anyone have any recommendations on a book for studying for 70-410? I don't really care about practice exams in the book, as long as the content is complete and ACCURATE. I'll use Transcender or similar for simulated exam practice.

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I havent read any MS Press books for just about any of my cert exams, I mainly use TechNet and a reference book or two. What I do is read the exam blueprint, read the corresponding topics in TechNet and in the Unleashed book (for example, Windows Server 2008 Unleashed) and reproduce all the material as I go in my lab. There isnt anything out there that's more accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date than TechNet.

Having said all of the above, if you need a structured path, then pick up the MS Press book and read that first and then fill in the gaps with TechNet and the Unleashed book. Most MS exam books arent adequate for an exam, in fact if you just relied on them and didnt have much real-world experience with the product, you'll most likely fail.

No one, apart from the authors/publishers, would know if the new book is going to be more accurate. Good luck with the exam, this one's definitely doable!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I just received the Exam Ref 70-410 book and am disappointed with the lack of practice exercises in it . It's less than 400 pages too. Don't know how reliable a resource this will be.

I also bough the "Training Guide: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012" which does have lots of exercises. But it claims not to be geared towards exam prep, while it "may help". There are lots of things in it such as creating images which won't be needed for the 70-410.

So I am using both of these books along with the CBT nuggets course for 70-410 to prep.