netflix on linux

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
yep, finally came to be ... well at least on ubuntu based systems, ive tested it on mint 13

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

works very well so far. this was one of the major reasons i still had windows around on my laptops

main link

http://lifehacker.com/5963726/netflix-finally-comes-to-ubuntu-in-the-form-of-an-unofficial-desktop-app
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm glad this has finally been fixed. It's really about time.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sweet. I wanted to use my Raspberry Pi for Netflix streaming, now I can!
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It still seems like it's a little buggy according to the people who've tried it. I'm considering cancelling netflix and getting hulu or just using both so my girlfriend stays happy. It seems like hulu has great support for linux.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Amazon prime works on Linux as well, but this works fine for me, worth a shot
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    So, it's just running NetFlix in a WINE instance? That is incredibly lame. NetFlix needs to get with the program and abandon Silverlight, like MS already has.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    W Stewart wrote: »
    It still seems like it's a little buggy according to the people who've tried it. I'm considering cancelling netflix and getting hulu or just using both so my girlfriend stays happy. It seems like hulu has great support for linux.

You can still dig up the Hulu Desktop package on the Hulu website using the search engines. I highly recommend it over the lame website interface. Just make sure your flash is in order before you install it or you will have crashes.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can still dig up the Hulu Desktop package on the Hulu website using the search engines. I highly recommend it over the lame website interface. Just make sure your flash is in order before you install it or you will have crashes.

I've seen it. The rpm package converted over to a slackware package without any issues so I'm definitely considering getting another subscription.