Options

PPP,PPTP,L2TP

karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guy,

Do you guy know what the difference feature between the PPP,PPTP,L2TP? I alway can't make them clearly!

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    So, if the question ask for
    "Which protocol can setup a VPN" We need to choose which one?
    Or
    "you need to setup a communication between two office, no IP and need security" also which one to chooes?
  • Options
    gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Remember that for the net+ exam you have to choose the best answer. If you need to establish a VPN and security is a concern, the best answer to your question is L2TP. Because is the more secure of the protocols you mentioned.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Brief overview, Microsoft is the creator of PPP and PPTP. Cisco is the creator of LTP. Think of PPTP an update of PPP.

Microsoft: PPP > PPTP
    Cisco: LTP

And then....

Cisco + Microsoft = L2TP

L2TP was created by both Cisco and Microsoft. Microsoft had their PPTP protocol and Cisco had the LTP protocol. They took the best out of them and developed L2TP.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your opinions! :D

I hope they will accept the exactly answer whan attend the Net+ exam.

I found that many simulation practices have difference choose in their correct answer. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    ^^

I thought that the IETF developed PPP? It just seems that it is way to stable to be developed by MS. Ive read that MS developed PPTP with Ascend, but not PPP.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    ^^

I thought that the IETF developed PPP? It just seems that it is way to stable to be developed by MS. Ive read that MS developed PPTP with Ascend, but not PPP.

My bad...

But PPTP is based off PPP isn't it?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    spfdz wrote:
    But PPTP is based off PPP isn't it?
    Yes, it is an extension of PPP.
  • Options
    So anyway isn't it right?
    If we see a question asking about setup a VPN, the answer is
    "L2TP"!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Most likely. I did do a lab on VPN yesterday.. I setup a PPTP tunnel though, not a L2TP. (Had the option to choose one or the other)
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PPTP and L2TP can both be used to set up VPNs. PPTP is slightly easier to set up and uses MPPE for encryption. L2TP uses IPSec for encryption which is better than MPPE and is slightly harder to set up because of additional configuration settings needed on firewalls. L2TP is a better choice if you are using non Microsoft or a hybrid solution or if your main concern is security.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan