Options

Breaking into SQL 2008

WonTonDonWonTonDon Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys

I've been working as a Service Analyst for the past 4 years and looking to break into SQL. Coming from an IT Support Level 1 Level2 background with little or no exposure to SQL, how easy is it to pick up and also, is it advisable to dive straight into the MS Press books, CBT Nuggets, or should I do some additional reading to gain a grasp of how databases work before getting into the modules?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Do you have any studies on any scripting or programming?
    I think if you have any experience in anything that requires logical commands you will pick up SQL pretty fast

Im not a DBA or anything like that, but I Do work with MySQL and SQL and I find my background in programming and CLIs helped for queries and granting permissions n stuff.

I would guess to pick up CBT just to get the flavor for it, but Ive never seen the cbt series in SQL so I dont know if its good or not.
    Hopefully someone else can provide insight on that.
    But I would definitely recommend to download a client like workbench, dolphin or navicat and browse for some tutorials.
    meh
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice kurosaki00

No, unfortunately, I have no experience of scripting, nor programming. I've only done an MCP in Windows XP, so fairly limited as to what I can do right now, besides the Server path.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can get a developers edition of SQL 2008 for like 50 bucks. Then either buy the DTB (dead tree book) or download the Kindle version of "Joes to Pros". This is a great introduction to SQL and a good way to learn and get your feet wet.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    ah Bokeh reminded me
    do you have any .edu email?
    are you in college?
    Try to get IEEE student membership (its like 20 bucks a year)
    with that you will get the microsoft software alliance thing and you can download a bunch of microsoft software for free
    meh
  • Options
    umarbhattiumarbhatti Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't know what other members may think, but try MS Access if you already have a copy. Generally they have i believe NorthWind Database setup that you can have a look at. You can create tables, relationships just so you get a feel how a DB works, then once you have a bit of a understanding of Access then you can transition over to SQL Server. With Access you can get to see how VBA code is written as well.
    Thats just my 2cents
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Access is a good alternative if you want to practice writing queries and building tables, constraints, etc.

Installing MS SQL Server can be challenging, but I assume with 4 years of service desk experience you should be able to figure it out.

I found that trying to learn SQL or VB without using it at work was a waste of time for me. (Note this is my personal experience not yours) I was able to retain some knowledge but unless you are using it day in and day out it's difficult to retain (again at least for me)

I would try to find a data analyst position where you could use SQL and move forward from there.
  • Options
    Hi guys

Just wanted to say thank you all for your helpful input. I guess the hardest thing for me right now is the transition from Service Desk to a Data Analyst, SQL role, if I'm fortunate enough to get certified, potential employers are always going to want to see what I experience I have, if any with the new creditation.

Working in a Service Desk, I always worried about being a 'jack of all trades' and master of none, though I hope I can break into SQL and make myself marketable for any junior DBA roles
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Download sql express and the adventureworks database. Get the joes2pros books or dvds. Practice for 6 months and you'll know quite a bit of sql. In my opinion, don't even bother with Access.