Super Stuck Advice needed please

DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
Hey Guys,

Let me start by wishing you all a happy new year icon_smile.gif.

Well i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I work in a tech support role for an ISP, ADSL based role. My ideal job is to land a Network Engineer Role, work in a NOC/NI position.

Now all last year i studied for the CCNA and passed in November, I thought i'd have a break for Christmas and then start again, which is what im basically doing but im kind of coming to a stand still. My goal in the next year or so is to land a job in a NOC based role even as a trainee.

So this is where im stuck, I want to study for the CCNP but i feel it would be better for me to do this when i am working with cisco day in day out, at the moment i dont really work with cisco kit at all and therefore im starting to forget some of my studies from CCNA, im looking for jobs as an engineer or trainee engineer but havent really found may out there in my area.

Someone mentioned linux is a good tool to have, so i recently installed ubuntu server on a VM and have started messing around with that but i dont really want to waste time learning something that is not really going to be used that much in my career.

I was wondering what you guys would advise? Im only at CCNA level, do i start studying for CCNP? do i start learning Ubuntu Server (is it going to be a waste of time), is there something else i should be learning, is there a specific skill Network engineers should have, I feel like im wasting valuable time and i think i just need a push in the right direction.

Any help would be great.

Cheers Guys

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    IMO you should try to keep your current knowledge fresh and concentrate your time on finding a job rather than certifying any further. If you just have to get a certification then look at the CCNA Service Provider stuff or possibly the JNCIA. I wouldn't try to go beyond entry level without getting some experience first though.

Is there room to move up in your current company? Have you expressed a desire to move up? Start networking with the NOC guys at work. Networking with people is just as important as networking with routers and switches when it comes to moving up in the world.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    There are positions but very difficult to get into them. Im constantly badgering my manager to at least get me a day in that department, even in my own time, Just to watch what they do. So far not very good though, i keep getting i'll do it later and i keep getting a not right now... basically he cant be bothered doing any other day bear minimum he needs to.

I will continue trying to look for work, its just if im not doing anything cisco related/networking related everyday im scared i'll either forget or not be progressing as much as i should be