Which certification should i get next?

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
I already have CCNA. I was either thinking about going to CCNA:Security, CCNP or MCITP. I am at help desk right now and we do a mixture of networking (cisco, forinet, sonic wall, netgear), system admin (windows server), exchange, citrix and vmware.

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would get the MCSA Windows Server 2008. It complements your current certifications and broadens your portfolio, in addition to the fact that you do use it at work. The CCNA: Security or any other CCNA track could be next after the MCSA. I'd stay away from the CCNP while working at the helpdesk as you won't have the production experience to retain the material after passing the exam, but then again it could get you a promotion. :)
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kind of hard for me to say go deeper into CCNA especially with everything you work with. I would think Microsoft, VM, or even citrix would be in your range - atleast it would be for me. Experience is Experience and something you can certain cash in later.

But why limit yourself. Do them all! :D
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would hit either Citrix or Exchange first. I have been with 2 large companies recently and both of them are massive applications. XenAPP is the really interesting as well. I'd love to learn it once I get past the basics.
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd vote for either the Microsoft stuff or if you like the VMware side, see if you can get approved to take a VCP course and get certified.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea I agree. Go for some Microsoft certs and hit up vmware along the way.
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Ok what is the easier test. CCNA:Security or the active directory exam? I want to get a cert before i start school in a month.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think there are many certifications that would add value to an already impressive array of certifications. If you start to get the educational piece too far out infront of the experience piece it may kick off some red flags. Personally I think right now the CCNA is a great certification and far outweights your responsibilities. I would look to transition into a job that requires you to use a lot of networking skills and move into the CCNP. There you should be really good to go and make nice coin.

(Of course this is contigent on if you enjoy networking) I don't like moving laterally or backwards and the NA is a big time certifications regardless of what others say.

Right now you aren't ready for another certification of value IMO.