South Carolina TE Meet-up

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know there are several TE members in my area and quite a few that are no more than a few hours from here. I would like to get together with Y'all.

Is anyone interested?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm in if others are interested.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I thought you were still in NoVA, or did I hear wrong?
  • ChipschChipsch Member Posts: 114
    I'm good for this, would need to plan it out a bit in advance here due to family. Sometime in February?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I thought you were still in NoVA, or did I hear wrong?

No I moved back to SC a couple months ago. The family wasn't having being away anymore.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Greenville isn't a far drive for me here in Charlotte. Would be nice to meet some folks since I just moved here a couple of months back.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    @Hypntick: My thoughts exactly. I'm not from the area, so I'm still trying to learn about the IT in the region.
  • ChipschChipsch Member Posts: 114
    @Networker, were you able to keep your current job?

I am near the Columbia area and could do a day trip up to Greenville actually, gives my family a chance to go see some family in the Anderson area.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might could make it work if it were held in the Charlotte area. GSP is a bit far for me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Time and Place.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

That's a tough one. I don't mind driving 45 mins - hour, but anything more than that makes me cringe.

@Rogue: You are in Columbia, right?
    I'm in Orangeburg - ~40 minutes on 26

I don't mind the drive; I like driving for the drive. Message me Where / When. I'm game. Strippers preferred.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Damn, I would love to meet you guys but Greenville is too far for me to travel (I'm near Cola). I didnt realize there was that many of you here besides VL. Dont forget to post pix (especially if strippers are involved like Roguetadhg said).
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Charlotte here too!
    Columbia might be the better "Central" spot for SCers. Anyone coming from Savanna would have a hell of a drive to Charlotte.

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We talking wire strippers and crimping tools here - network stuff, right? icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    I'm not sure how many individuals we would see coming from south of Columbia. I honestly don't like traveling to Columbia, so maybe I'm saying it for that reason... icon_wink.gif

I'm thinking this meetup would be great for the Spring time. What are you guys thinking?
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    a lot of Charlotte folks too. I'd love to do a meet up there. 112 miles one way is a bit much for me personally. None the less if it happens for you guys have a great time!
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm in SC too. Maybe a compromise, split into 2 meetings? One in Columbia, one in Charlotte?
    @Seph: Who am I to argue such logic? :) I have been wanting to go up to Charlotte for some time.
    As long as we don't schedule this meeting for when rain happens. It's more likely to find ourselves playing bumper cars on the highway :P

Charlotte would be awesome. An actual city.

And wire stripping fun! Gentlemen! Think of the possibilities!

@Rogue: That's why I don't want to do this in the winter. Snow doesn't bother me, but ice and heavy rain does. It's all the other people on the road that I'm scared of icon_lol.gif
    I'm from the north. Us yanks know how to drive in bad weather. We feel at home in the snow!

Down here- hell, I'm scared to walk outside if it rains. I've seen mustangs fly across the road, and Every.time in Columbia's portion of 26... 4 accidents on the on/off ramps. I wish I was joking.

• SgtBOOMSgtBOOM Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm about 40 minutes east of Columbia, but would definitely be on board for a TE meetup!
    @Rogue: Oh no, I completely believe you. Everytime it rains I wince as I get in the car. I know I'm going to see or hear about crashes the entire way to work.
    Okay, time to bring this thread back from the grave. I have a coworker who is interested. I'm thinking later in the summer/early-fall would be good. Most of the connections I have in the area are Cisco leaning so I don't if that affects anyone's interest.
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I'm in the Charlotte area so Charlotte or Greenville is doable.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wish I could come too! But the $2500+ airfare is slightly prohibitive...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    LOL! Well, Australia is on the top of list of places I want to visit if that makes you feel any better.
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Another member from Charlotte who would be glad to meet up and talk geek.

I'm right off Tyvola near border of NC/SC
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Anyone else here going to the security bsides event in Charlotte next weekend? BSides Charlotte
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.