Options

Newbie looking forward to a career in I.T

red3784red3784 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
I am about to graduate with my associates in I.T. I am looking to start my career path in may when I graduate. What kind of position should I look for? I'd like to get into networking and possibly security. I just received my cert in Network+, and I am about to take Security+. I am planning on doing CCENT next. What else should I be looking to get certified in?
Thank you
-Mike

I also have a Bachelors of science. I went to school originally to be a Physical and Health education teacher, but the market is terrible right now.

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @red3784 - looks like you have a solid plan! An MS cert wouldn't harm you - something like the 70-680.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    My next question is. Why types of jobs should I be searching for. Like what titles?
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you want to get your feet wet in networking, an entry level position would be a NOC analyst which typically includes shift work.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone for your kind advice!

What about salaried positions? I was going to try to aim for entry level systems admin.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Finish your associates and stop there, no reason to drop more money into degrees.

I think network + is to expensive but you have it and it add slight value to your resume. Security + can add solid value if you get into a role that requires those skills. (You can also get HIPPA certifications based off of your Security + certification which can really give you a competitive edge in the health care IT market and MSP market). This also includes SOX certifications and other US regulations (assuming you are in the US)

The fact you already know you like networking I like the CCENT and then move in the CCNA. There slam the breaks on certifications and transition into job mode. Focus on getting a NOC position or a position with a VAR, Partner, or MSP and try to get as much networking knowledge as possible.

That should set you straight for a few years and then I would recommend transitioning into whatever is required. Maybe security or additional networking.

Good luck!
  • Options
    GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    red3784 wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone for your kind advice?

What about salaried positions? I was going to try to aim for entry level systems admin.

It seems like you have no real world experience. You "may" be able to get a Junior level position working in a NOC doing shift work. Getting a Security+ certification would help you out a bit as you could branch out to I.T. Security or look more favorably to dual NOC and SOC (security operation center) roles.

I highly recommend getting A+ certified. A lot of people always scoff at A+ certification, but you would be surprised at how many people in I.T. holding this certain type of certification or that certification can not even trouble shoot hardware or software even after years of working in I.T. Especially, if your thinking about a entry level system administrator role as you posted below. You may be able to get you foot in the door with both A+ and network+.
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • Options
    You are 100% correct. I have little real world experience. The only real experience I have is from school, playing in virtual machines.

I can see your point. Last Year I was reading A+(I read about half of it) and my friends brother, who does I.T. securities for a prominent employer had told me to skip it and get my Network+, Security+, and then start working on my Cisco.

My biggest trouble is that while I am looking ahead towards this summer (when I get my degree in I.T.) I am looking for I.T. careers, on craigslist, monster, indeed, etc. I just don't know where so start/look wisely.

I do appreciate all the advice though!
  • Options
    TCainnnTCainnn Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    red3784 wrote: »
    You are 100% correct. I have little real world experience. The only real experience I have is from school, playing in virtual machines.

I can see your point. Last Year I was reading A+(I read about half of it) and my friends brother, who does I.T. securities for a prominent employer had told me to skip it and get my Network+, Security+, and then start working on my Cisco.

My biggest trouble is that while I am looking ahead towards this summer (when I get my degree in I.T.) I am looking for I.T. careers, on craigslist, monster, indeed, etc. I just don't know where so start/look wisely.

I do appreciate all the advice though!
    Dice is a good website to look for careers in IT. Also I would encourage you to try and find an internship to give you some experience.
    A LOT of people get degrees and fail to find jobs because of lack of experience.
    "Excuses are for the weak. Overcoming is for the strong"
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Also if you want to ensure that you will be an IT manager at one point in your career you will need the 4 year degree, you may still be able to achieve it but with the 4 year degree it will be much easier.

Most people fail to get there first IT job because they don't put enough effort into it. People think I filled out 10 applications that good enough right? I got my job by filling out as many as I could. I counted to about 50 then lost track.

You'll be able to find a good entry break/fix job, admin job is aiming high since even entry level admins require 3 years experience (sad world).
  • Options
    Ok so just a little update, I had an interview today for I.T. Technician at small company that makes drugs. They gave me a taste half Microsoft based, and half network based. I aced the network portion, but bombed the Ms part. What is the best Ms cert to start of with first. The 70-680 or something like 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643?

Thanks again everyone
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    70-680 is a great cert to get initiated in MS
    meh
  • Options
    What resources did you use to study for it?
  • Options
    surajprakash123surajprakash123 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

I am currently pursuing an engineering degree in Electronics and Communication as well as studying for CCNP certification exam ( also CCNA certified, CCNP switch exam cleared). I am really very interested in computer networking and that is the reason what motivated me to pursue CCNP. I am also planning to pursue MCSE after getting certified in CCNP, just because I am eager to learn about it.

I wanted to ask that will these certifications matter to employers when I graduate? will the employers actually consider these certifications??..or they wont because these cerfications are meant for people who have experience in it.

Im just worried that my time and effort will go wasted because I have heard many people say that these certifications are for experienced.

Thanks a lot in advance happy.gif
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked in a NOC for 4 years in the wireless telecommunications indistry. If you are trying to work in that industry an A+ will not be very meaningful. What interests you? Service provider? Healthcare industry? PC repair? Telecommunications installer/technician (Cellsite technician, cable installer, work out of a truck)?

What do you see yourself doing and enjoying on a daily basis at this point (it will change)? What seems like a fun job to do on a daily basis? Once you know that then we can built a cert path.

FYI, if you ever hope of getting a good job in a big city ever in your lifetime, finish your bachelors.....
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    bela456bela456 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    70-680 is a great cert to get initiated in MS
  • Options
    tech_stonetech_stone Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I got my masters degree in information systems and I am still having a hard time gaining tech employment. It is better to get a Cisco cert, because it is much cheaper, and it cannot hurt to have it. Of course experience is the key here as everyone states.