Options

Want it, Love it, or Just do...

EverythingPCownerEverythingPCowner Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wanted to do a poll....
Would you say you love IT...to the point if you didnt work in IT...you would study it anyways in your free time.

Would you say you like doin IT, but its just a job and lunch means lunch.

Would you say you want to get into IT...because you feel like it would be a good move....but have no prior experiance (personal)

I think you get where im goin with this. I just want to get an idea of what everyone elses thoughts on how, for you, IT and your life (fun) interact with one another.

Ill start.....I am the "type" that always just did it....but did not even consider IT a career until traditional plans fell through. Now im actually happy I didnt finish school YET. I sometimes see people working along side me or even above me seem like they dont care to learn something new just because. "Im not goin to study for that unless the company pays for it." Perhaps I care too much....or maybe it's just because I dont have a family lol... who knows. Just wondering how everyone esle feels.
Alabama or Bust!

Comments

• Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say I used to absoloutely love IT. Now it has become more of a career(job) and my passion fo IT itself is not as great as it used to be. I'm starting to see it as a means to and ends and this is mainly because of the downfall of IT with low wages, less respect, more pressure and more demands.

So I do enjoy getting certified and do spend my own money on being certified because I like to learn and like to earn credentials. But with every exam it feels more like trying to eanr me a better positions such as in Project Management or Management because thats where the money and respect is now days. Of course saying all this I still really love all the hands on stuff, designing, implementing, troubleshooting. Could be just my current job has worn me down a bit because our IT dept. is treated like sh#t. I have been here before in other jobs but unfortunately it is where more and more companies are heading, outsourcing to India just to save a few dollars and get apalling service. That proves what they think about IT.

However I am not one of those people who just see it as a job. I have worked with many people who expect to be promoted without doing any study unless the company puts them on a course and then they don't even do the certification exam associated and still expect to get promoted and be given more courses to attend. Its been sad days for the IT sector in the past few years but there is hope of turn around. I am remaining optimistic while still looking out for other new opportunities in IT such as in Wireless, SANs, Security, and even Cisco networking since my experience is limited there.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I love IT, but I think that I could be equally as happy doing quite a few other things.

However, I think I would most likely be involved and interested in it, even if it weren't my primary job.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Just wanted to do a poll....
    Would you say you love IT...to the point if you didnt work in IT...you would study it anyways in your free time.

First touched a PC back in the windows 3.1 days. I was only 7 or something. I messed it up pretty bad, was banned from using the family computer.

Fast forward about ten years later, just got my foot into the IT field right now. I noticed I can read anything technology related. Wheather it's a new dvd player, new phone network, I'm interested in how it works. I'm still awaiting a live example with radio waves, and digital signals.

The fact radio waves are just waves that can be changed into sound doesn't cut it for me. I know it's true but I still don't believe it till I see it in front of my eyes happening.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I think about this alot. I love IT but it has its down sides, like anything else would. I can see myself being successful in a few other areas..IT has given me a different mind set on everything. However, my mind is starting to wander to other career paths & better opportunties that IT will never be able to provide.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i like what i do.. the money is cool as well .
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    I love IT. I love technology. I hate not knowing how interesting things work. Im a huge Discovery Science channel fan, I just cant get enough of cutting edge stuff.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to love IT, but now it's more like a career job. I was thinking of leaving IT about a year ago and become a state trooper, but I had put too much time and effort in to IT (10 years) so I thought it would of been pretty dumb to leave now.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    IT is great! I love it and I hope I can do it untill I retire. But, who knows how I'll feel in 10 years icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    but I had put too much time and effort in to IT (10 years) so I thought it would of been pretty dumb to leave now.

Not if you genuinely want to do something else. You only live once. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i think everything should be equal... :)
    your need (to grow, to be promoted etc.), your reward (salary, experiences, knowledge etc...).
    many todays problems maybe came from the unbalanced job (assigned by companies : overworked, low wages, not well managed working environment etc.) compare to (workers) expectations.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.