Options

Certification path advice for this year

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for reading my post. I kind of screwed up and got too comfortable in my helpdesk job in the last couple of years and didn't study much at all. I really want to take my career to the next level but just don't know how to go from here. I like to follow technology in general but didn't make a lot of progress as far as my career goes and now feel really bad about it. I do have A+ and 70-290 from couple of years ago but that is all. I had a chance to work a little with Active Directory and Group Policy but not too much. I understand that the question is really generic and is something I should think about myself as there are many paths I can take (Microsoft, Cisco, etc) but I was just wondering what you guys think.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
    I was in a similar situation and decided that I'm going with the cisco route currently and just passed my CCENT after about 3-4 weeks of study and will be going for the CCNA soon. I have a background in MS but it seems like employers are definitely wanting a jack of all trades type deal for entry to mid level IT. They seem to like someone who can wear multiple hats "at the drop of a hat".
    Ha.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Continuing what Thacker said, I'd start on either (Microsoft or Cisco, that is) and see how it goes. You may like server administration or hate it, the same applies to network administration too. Many employers want people that are multi-skilled, saves them from paying two people.

Big question though is, what do you LIKE doing? Do you like this AD and GPO stuff? If you dont, dont do it. Do what you LIKE doing.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're still not sure which path you want to go down then I would try to brush up on the very basics of anything you may find interesting and try getting your foot in the door at a small to medium business. You'll get a chance to work with a lot of different things and find out what you have a knack for and what you enjoy doing more. I thought I wanted to do networking until I worked for two different ISPs. One of them was in a NOC and it paid okay. I realize now that I enjoy server work a little more and linux in particular but I still have a good networking foundation to help make me a better all around professional.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! All the replies are really helpful. I decided to start with CCENT for now and see how it goes. I hope I do well :) I guess the hardest part is getting the real world experience and getting the foot in the door, even with my helpdesk experience.
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    rhcsa & vcp ??
  • Options
    rhcsa & vcp ??

Could you please elaborate? I know what these cerifications are , but is it practical to go straight to thesr considering my background and limited knowledge of linux?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ OP

I would hardly consider those two certification as not keeping up on technology.

70-290 is a strong certification and A+ is a rite of passage into the realms of deskside and desktop support so that has value as well.

You may want to consider getting 70-640 Windows Server 2008 Configuring Active Directory. That could fill in some knowledge gaps and get you on solid path while showing you have current certifications.

I would be careful with getting an aggressive certification plan in place. Honestly I would just focus on one certification tops and see how things go after that. Do enough to keep current, experience and lady luck will play a big role in where you end up.

I would consider these potentially (keep in mine I don't know your passions etc)

Security + is always a nice one to get. With AD knowledge you could move into access management. Not exactly glorious but gets you into some scripting (bulk creations etc) and other technologies that the service desk doesn't provide.

70-640 will give you additional knowledge and confidence to move into junior level roles that require a solid understanding of AD. I would consider this as well. Again this could help move you into a junior admin job or NT access management.

ITIL V3 Foundations is another to consider. It could help you move up into a service management lead role. Then you could transition into a supervisor - manager I think you get the path. Obviously moving you away from technology and more into process and operational management

Of course if you are passionate about one particular technology (LINUX or Networking) then by all means pursue that, but it sounds like you are kind of like me. You like technology but not obsessed one particular piece of it. That's why I suggested the ones above.

Good luck