Router Boot Rom upgrade

DustykDustyk Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone every bought the cheap Bootstrap Rom upgrade from the guys in HongKong? Are they reliable. 10 bucks for a chip vs 50 for someone here int he states makes me wonder if its Legit.

Im looking for 2621xm 256MB/8r chips.
Dusty

Comments

• Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This webpage deals with WIC cards for routers, just be aware of counterfeit parts.

Counterfeit / Fake Cisco WIC-1DSU-T1 Guide - Andover Test
  • DustykDustyk Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks but I need to know about the Rom (bootstrap) chips. The chip that you put on the motherboard. Not the Ram or flash.
    Dusty
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to buy blank chips and had many chip progammers. Some folks called them prom burners. A rom read only memory usually never has any security bits, or security fuse. Most all these are prior to the digital millennium act so I am not sure if simply copying the file and putting it on a new chip is copywrite infringement, you need to consult (intellectual law) to know for sure. you can't just go on what someone makes up in their head and relays to you as a law. Prior to the digital millennium act the codes were considered as a mathematic formula which could not be copy write.

As far as will it work, it is a piece of cake to copy a file and put it on as many chips as you want. Anyone with chip programing gear will do a good job, it is so cheap if it does not work they will send you a new one. Nobody will buy a chip and then send it out without a progam, if that is what they are earning their living doing they will do it well.

The biggest concern here: that chip socket will break if you pry it out using the side for leverage. you need to hook it from underneath and lift it out. I just did one recently but do have a verity of small tools. A hooked dental probe fits under it.
  • DustykDustyk Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks inscom. I have plenty of dental tools. Ill get these a shot and see how it goes.
    Dusty
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I upgraded the ROM/Flash/DRAM on an old 2620 a couple of months back. I went the $50 states eBay route with no problems. I'd be worried about counterfeit for only $10.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually