Help with LAB

danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
Hi everyone,

I am not sure how this works but I am a newbie to this cisco thingy. I'm currently studying for my CCNA with some INE Video tutorials online and I am done with the OSI Model. I'm on the Routing whatever whatever now and I am not sure how this whole thing works, I just downloaded putty now and I need access to some LAB. I do not have a lab or routers as they cost a fortune. Does anyone know how to connect to a lab through putty or telnet or just how this all works because I am seriously lost and I need help. I do have passion for networking but this Routing and Sub-netting around is making it very hard. Please help. Ideas are welcomed. Thanks everyone
Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
Up Next: CCNP
Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
And Umm: CCNP Voice

Comments

• kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    A user on here has a free lab that you can access online. He has them open to anyone who wants to use them, You can check it out here. Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab

Otherwise you can use Packet Tracer, or GNS3 which also allows you to connect to physical devices later on when you get around to buying some.

CCNA Labs aren't expensive though, you can pick up switches from as low as I think $35 US? Here in Aus, to buy a reasonable LAB is about $400AU which is 2 switches and 2 routers and cables.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    Oh my, kj0 - you're a life saver. :D I'll try and access the lab now.. and I currently live in INDIA, working on my degree so it's kinda tough to buy those routers because of tied funds.. but I just downloaded Packet Tracer - not sure how it works but will look into it. Thanks a lot kj0.
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have youTube in India or is it censored?

YouTube has lots of Packet tracker LABs. once you have PT 5.3 also look for the tutorial, you will get more insite quicker.

this guy is pretty good with PT labs click on his youtube link. he goes through all of the stuff. He makes mistakes but he fixes it, so you learn from that too.
    DansCourses.com | Computer Networking Classes Taught by Dan Alberghetti
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out this thread, it has lots of ideas concerning home labs, online labs, free workbooks, etc, etc.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/28660-ccna-ccent-home-lab-ideas.html

hth
    Yes, I've got Youtube and I know about DansCourses. I saw some of his video tutorials before I even joined this website. I downloaded the Packet Tracer 5.3.3 but I'm so lost. Not even sure how these things work.. but I am never going to give up though. I'm still on it. Thanks you so much for your help. I'm glad there are guys out here willing to help newbies like me. I so love Networking, I've been up on this thing for a while and still no luck yet but I'll keep trying though, won't give up.
    Do you have youTube in India or is it censored?

YouTube has lots of Packet tracker LABs. once you have PT 5.3 also look for the tutorial, you will get more insite quicker.

this guy is pretty good with PT labs click on his youtube link. he goes through all of the stuff. He makes mistakes but he fixes it, so you learn from that too.
    DansCourses.com | Computer Networking Classes Taught by Dan Alberghetti
    Oh man, that page has got lots of information and tools. Man, thank you so much. I'm going to stuck myself up on these now. Thanks a lot guys. God bless you all.
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    Check out this thread, it has lots of ideas concerning home labs, online labs, free workbooks, etc, etc.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/28660-ccna-ccent-home-lab-ideas.html

hth
    Not to mention, Subnet is giving me headache. We've got some Institutes that offer trainings here but I want to do the self study myself, I've seen people do them by reading and practicing with this online stuffs and they passed, so why not try to be like them. Anyone knows the easiest way to practice subnetting. Please help. Started OSI 2 weeks ago and I'm down with it. Totally.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I'm slowly working my way around CCNA stuff. I don't use any of it as of yet, so it's not in my goal for this year, but I every now and then I'll read a chapter to keep my head around it as a lot of the concepts are in the Microsoft 70-642. I do a little bit of tagging ports and link Agg on our HP switches at work for servers, but that's it, I do have half a Lab at home (Cisco 2900 and 3550) and occasionally for a little bit of fun when I'm bored I'll attempt something on PT.

Keep at it, don't burn yourself out, and you will do well.. Good Luck while you tackle this one.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    Thanks, kj0.
    I'm getting into it. I downloaded GNS3 and i think it's a little more advanced except the comments I've seen about it not being Switching friendly. I have been on it for the past 4 hours now and at least I'm getting something right. Lucky you, you've got some physical equipments to play with. This GNS and PT thing is still a handful to play so Imma battle with it and see where it goes. I'm getting my CCNA this year.. and also CCNP and I am thinking of going into Voice. Do you have any idea of the Cisco Voice path ? Do you think it has a better scope ?
    kj0 wrote: »
    I'm slowly working my way around CCNA stuff. I don't use any of it as of yet, so it's not in my goal for this year, but I every now and then I'll read a chapter to keep my head around it as a lot of the concepts are in the Microsoft 70-642. I do a little bit of tagging ports and link Agg on our HP switches at work for servers, but that's it, I do have half a Lab at home (Cisco 2900 and 3550) and occasionally for a little bit of fun when I'm bored I'll attempt something on PT.

Keep at it, don't burn yourself out, and you will do well.. Good Luck while you tackle this one.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may feel lost at first, don't let that get you down. Just keep studying. The first part of Cisco is learning the theory of a network. It is very beneficial for you to learn this. You'll get into the good stuff soon, I promise.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    danstar wrote: »
    Not to mention, Subnet is giving me headache. QUOTE]

gave me one too, you'll get it, don't worry the headache is worth it and it will go away; so funny when I got that headache, I ask my wife is their any brain food, my head hurts bad!