Options

Fairly new in college/advice on certification path.

AtwoooooodAtwooooood Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody, new member here. I have a couple questions regarding which path I should take with certifications and the like.

First off, I am currently in college working on my Associates Degree in Information Technology. I do not currently have any certifications but plan to start working on them.

Now I am familiar with some of the entry level certifications (CCENT, A+, MCSA), but am unsure where I should start off. I am interested in networking and security, but since I am still so new into all of this, I figured it would be best to get an A+ cert under my belt. My question to you all though is what would be the best route to take in the beginning in terms of CompTIA, Microsoft, or Cisco. Any input you all may have for someone new to all of this would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the forums! The A+ is a good cert to start off with, get a job and when you are a year or two into it, you'll know where your interests lie and you then choose your cert path. There have been numerous threads in the recent past by people asking the same question. It may be a good idea to check them out. Stick around and you'll learn a ton!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Essendon. :D

Also, quick question. I have a copy of Mike Meyers A+ AIO Certification 5th Edition that a friend gave me a few years back. Would you recommend me just shelling out the cash and upgrading to the 8th Edition?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Folks who've taken the A+ recently will be able to answer the question better. I have no idea, but I doubt if the exam blueprint has changed much over the years. Good luck with whatever you do.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    My first and the best advice I would give a college student about their careers would be
    DONT LEAVE COLLEGE WITHOUT A INTERSHIP OR/AND WORK EXPERIENCE

Seriously I cant insist on this enough
    When you are in colllege internships, co-ops, research are way easier to obtain
    DO NOT graduate without work experience! Get all the internships you can, all the co-ops, jobs, research, lidership training etc etc

When it come to certs, A+, N+, Sec+ would give you a solid entry level foundation.
    meh
  • Options
    Thank you for your input kurosaki00!
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    My first and the best advice I would give a college student about their careers would be
    DONT LEAVE COLLEGE WITHOUT A INTERSHIP OR/AND WORK EXPERIENCE

Seriously I cant insist on this enough
    When you are in colllege internships, co-ops, research are way easier to obtain
    DO NOT graduate without work experience! Get all the internships you can, all the co-ops, jobs, research, lidership training etc etc

When it come to certs, A+, N+, Sec+ would give you a solid entry level foundation.

100% Correct, in my opinion! :) Any decent program should (or rather will) allow or require an internship at the undergraduate level. It's good for everyone. You gain both experience and have a fantastic opportunity to network with folks in your field. It's a LOT easier to get an internship if it's part of your program as compared to trying to land one after graduation. Trying to land an internship after graduation is *almost* (not quite but still not the easiest thing) like looking for a full time, long term position. Competition is keen. But, if it's part of your program while in college, then your department should help you get one.
    IMHO, kurosaki00 hit a home run because one should have experience before you graduate. I have three Masters degrees...I can say (with 20/20 hindsight) that internships would have made it a lot easier for me. If a program doesn't have this option, then there are other programs, other options. Just my opinion. Good advice, Kurosaki00! :)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Focus on your schooling and landing an intership. That will pay off really big in the long run. Focus on that piece and you want need certifications. (Not saying you shouldn't get any)

I wouldn't just randomly go with the A + N + S + track. It's very costly and to be honest a lot of time it doesn't have much return. Not only do you want the certification to enhance and validate your skills, you want that certification to open doors via human resources and/or hiring managers. Keep that in mind. Speaking of which The CompTIA trilogy can cost over 1,000 once you get books and pay for the exams. You could get the CCNA or MCTS for cheaper than that and it would pay off bigger. It may take you longer but well worth it.