Options

Why should people NOT go to WGU?

I am looking at making a benefit vs. draw back table for the online master’s degree at WGU in order to make a determination to enroll or not. I have read post after post of the reasons why it is a widely accepted school e.g. cost, timeframe and relative study (which happen to be very attractive when making this decision.) BUT, I have not read any posts that give any reasons of why not to go, or why not to pick another ONLINE university? Can you please provide me with some information that you know of or have heard of concerning the drawbacks to WGU and its master’s

]I thank you very much for your time and feedback and please keep in mind I am only interested in the online masters programs…THX in advance!

Comments

• Options
    GPITGPIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm sure others will have more in depth responses, but the only one I can think of right now is the name. WGU may not be as recognizable as a state university for example.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Pretty much what GPIT - The name brand isn't well known and it's not a top 10 college. The thing is that both those things aren't always important to people as long as the school is accredited. I would also add that it's an online school which a lot of people see as a con but given that you're already looking into online universities either way, it doesn't sound like it's that big of a deal for you.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    apoole15apoole15 Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Name recognition and the fact that it is online might be the drawbacks at this moment. However, as online schooling becomes more prevalent, it will become accepted as the norm. Colleges are offering more classes online and in certain states, high schoolers are required to take a class or two online. As long as they don't turn into a diploma mill, I feel WGU will shine as an innovator for higher education and will become even more respected.

The only other drawback I could see is if you wanted the "full" college experience. Such as dorm-life, going to school games, parties on the week-ends, etc. But lets face it, most people who enroll in WGU are in situations where they are unable to be a full-time student in a traditional setting.

If the graduating/graduated members of this forum are an indication of the caliber of graduates throughout WGU, I can only see them becoming more respected and accepted by hiring managers.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't believe name recognition would have anything to do. I've never once been asked about my college all that people seem to care is I have my degree and nothing more. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @5502george - one of the disadvantages of WGU is the lack of a formal GPA.

Another one is the lack of AACSB accreditation for its business programs.

A third is the lack of NSA CAE status, which primarily affects the recognition of its MSISA program.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should not go to WGU if you are not someone who is self motivated.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Indeed - if you are not a motivated self starter, and unable to get things done with minimal supervision and/or hand-holding, WGU is not for you.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    A third is the lack of NSA CAE status, which primarily affects the recognition of its MSISA program.

I don't know much about this accreditation. But I do know I would like to pursue a degree beyond my B.S. and was planning on doing it at WGU.

What exactly is this and what does it mean for someone who is planning on going through the MSISA?
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @MSP-IT - NSA Centers of Excellence

"Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education are eligible to apply for scholarships and grants through both the federal and Department of Defense Information Assurance Scholarship Programs..."
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Reason why I almost decided against WGU

1. The stigma of online schools even if they are accredited.
    2. Not being able to interact with my classmates/professor in-person.
    3. As Ivanjam said "lack of AACSB accreditation for its business programs"

Once I finish my degree in May/June of this year, I will be enrolling at a local university for my masters for a few reasons.
    1. Name recognition (I want people to know of my graduate school). Once I get my masters, the majority of people will focus on my graduate degree and will rarely ask about my bachelors. And if I ever face a hiring manager whom dislikes online degrees, having a graduate degree from a brick and mortar school should help.
    2. I want to be able to interact with my classmates/professors so I can absorb the advanced material better.
    3. Network Network Network
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Heh, YTF's reason #2 is one of the main reasons I picked WGU. I hate group projects in school, hoping the other team members aren't idiots or lazy slackers (I would hope graduate level would be better, but from what I've heard from friends who did B&M Masters there isn't much of a difference).

Don't go if name is important (at least not now), don't go if you fear that some retarded hiring manager that's stuck in the 1900's doesn't recognize the value of online schools and just looks for the name of the school. Don't go if you aren't self-motivated, no one is going to hold your hand here. If you can't learn, basically, on your own then it's not the school for you. Give it a test with something like MIT open courseware or Coursera, both are free and will give you an idea of what it's like. Of course, WGU does offer a little more than those two do (you do have mentors for each course you can email or call if you need some help).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ivanjam wrote: »

I think it received some recognition and certification from the NSA. Online University News | WGU Earns NSA Certification

"Western Governors University’s graduate program in Information Security and Assurance has been certified by the NSA’s Information Assurance Courseware Evaluation (IACE) Program. The certification verifies that WGU’s courseware meets the requirements established by the Committee on National Security Systems National Training Standards No. 4011 (Information Systems Security Professionals) and 4012 (Senior Systems Managers)."

It might not be that specific certification but it looks like it's good to go if you're looking to become a Information Systems Security Professional or Senior Systems Manager for the NSA. If going to a CAE school is SUPER important to the OP, then he might have to go to a non-online school since there are less than a dozen per state according to the NSA's own site:
    http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml#ut

Even in California, there are only 7 schools that have the CAE certification and I doubt any of them have 100% online degrees like the OP is looking for in the MSISA.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From my knowledge it is not certified. Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS < WGU is not listed and this list is updated every year
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Iris:

Good evening.

That's not the same as the CAE. The CAE designation would matter the most for someone who has no work experience. If you already have work experience, I'm just not seeing that it matters that much. Here's the list of schools that have it: Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS. Here's the link for the education criteria. Criteria for Measurement CAE/IAE- NSA/CSS. There are alternate criteria for research, but probably not that feasible, as I'm imagining most of the staff at WGU might conduct their research at other universities that have hard facilities.

Anyway, to get back on topic, some reasons you might not want to go to WGU:

1. As previously stated, if you can't work on your own. (this probably pretty much replies to all online schools)
    2. If the NSA CAE designation is important to you.
    3. If an accreditation for the business program (AACSB) is important to you.
    4. If you don't have experience in the field you're pursuing.
    5. If you don't want your papers graded by English majors. (I believe this is the #1 reason why people get such mixed results in sending their papers to Taskstream. You get some English person to check if it is grammatically correct and matches some APA guidelines, and they then check if some specific questions from the Rubric are answered. I have some classes where it seems the paper is graded on the criteria of providing "sufficient answer" for a thought. Other classes, they're looking for a "specific answer" which may not be apparent from the task description. I used 'trial-and-error" on one assignment, to finally "magically" say whatever the grader was looking for .... just one of those cases where maybe I just look at it differently .... tons of students had issues with the same assignment. It was in Organizational Management.)
    6. You do not organize and plan well. (probably applies to all online schools)
    7. You dislike the once-a-week pep rally sessions with your mentor :D
    8. You can afford a school with a bigger name.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    - I personally think one of the main reasons to go to WGU is time of completion. So, if you were in the opposite camp, and you were fine with the pace of a traditional school and enjoyed 12-16 week semesters for each class then I say go with the traditional school. Assuming, the cost was in your budget, etc.

In fact, I'd look into traditional schools that offered online programs. The actual degree doesn't say "online", and neither does WGU for that matter.

- If you want to easily form peer groups that you can face-to-face interact with then WGU definitely isn't a good choice. WGU lacks in the online community. While there's a presence here, you would think there would be a strong one within the school itself. They don't nurture it and I think that's a mistake.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    I would like to go to WGU but can't because while I'm out at sea there is no way for me to have my exams proctored, nor take the certification tests required by the program. I started my B.S. at UMUC since it was a program that I could easily complete, even while out at sea.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    When I went to a CCIE bootcamp. I spoke to multiple Network Engineer and Architect of well known SP's. They told me that they will only hire Cal State and UC graduates of Computer Science (so they can code) or a CCIE when it comes to touching their gears. I wont mention the name of the SP but it rhymes with horizon and I forgot the other one. lol

Now on the Manager / Director / CIO / CEO level. They told me that the upper management will only hire guys that have MBA from a State univ aka brick-and-mortar.

Is it possible to get hired when you graduated at WGU? Yes. Some companies do not care.

There are some guys that I know who finished their masters online and have manager level jobs. However, they have worked for the "same" company for more than 5 years and some have more than 5 years of experience from a different company.

I'm sure you can include the "buddy" system. Your friend or family hooks you up with a job.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    NavyIT wrote: »
    I would like to go to WGU but can't because while I'm out at sea there is no way for me to have my exams proctored, nor take the certification tests required by the program. I started my B.S. at UMUC since it was a program that I could easily complete, even while out at sea.

Does the BS program have proctored exams besides the certs? I know the MSISA doesn't. When I have exercises and such to deal with, where I know I won't have reliable (or any) internet for a few weeks, I just work on papers and submit them all once I have access again.

@instant000 #7... yes... god, please make it stop. I thought it would drop to twice a month after I made it to the second term (and completed over half the degree in the first term), but it did not. Since I'm overseas Friday night is the only time I can do it, that really cuts into the drinking time!
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The "name" and "prestige" or lack thereof would always be in the back of my mind, but probably the biggest drawback for me is that some topics, for me, work better with in-person interaction. My ideal situation I think would be one of my local universities where I am close enough to attend a course and meet with my classmates if I'm working on a project, but can also go online if I so choose.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im currently enrolled in the masters of networking. i think im gonna switch to a diff school i just dont like how the program is setup. for me its not about name or prestige its about having the masters and learning.

so far this masters program is just like every undergrad taskstream assignment, it doesnt have to work it just has to hit all the rubics on taskstream, for my masters i wanna learn
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    When I went to a CCIE bootcamp. I spoke to multiple Network Engineer and Architect of well known SP's. They told me that they will only hire Cal State and UC graduates of Computer Science (so they can code) or a CCIE when it comes to touching their gears. I wont mention the name of the SP but it rhymes with horizon and I forgot the other one. lol

That is complete BS they are feeding you there. I have worked at the large ISP's and known plenty of other that have worked there and trust me, there is no truth in that statement what so ever.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I think the reasons NOT to go to WGU is solidly wrapped up in ROI. The graduation rate at WGU is not great, it is a little better than the other online schools like U of Phoenix and considerably less expensive. Ultimately, you should use your head and judge whether or not the time and money is worth it. I wouldn't get my MBA from any one of the online only schools because I think that with a little more investment (going to an accredited B&M MBA program) you will get a much higher return. However, for a bachelor's degree, I wouldn't necessarily discount it. I have seen people graduate from WGU and others graduate from Regis and I can't tell that one is any better than the other. I think the guy that went to Regis had to work much harder - which benefited him greatly because he earned admission to the Leeds School of Business (UC-Boulder) which is a tier 1 school. My understanding [from him] was that of all the online schools Regis had the best reputation for jumping to a good graduate school. His opinion is a little biased but he might be right.
  • Options
    akazeroakazero Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it really depends on where you are in your career. If you are trying to break into the IT security field, I think a B&M (with or without distance learning option) or a well-known school is probably more beneficial.

However, I am thinking about go into the WGU MSISA program myself. The primary draw for me is the cost and time. I am already in the industry with 8+ years of relevant experience and certs (and a compsci undergrad from a B&M school). I'll be honest, at this point it's more of a checkbox for me.

As for reputation, I am in Canada so it doesn't really matter unless it's Penn State, Carnegie Melon or any of the well-known state schools.
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You shouldn't go to WGU if you can not commit a significant amount of time to your studies. WGU's learning model is not easy and requires an abundance of motivation and discipline in order to move along at a steady pace. WGU is for the go getters who can see their destination very clearly and strive towards it with a juggernaut mentality!
  • Options
    newbnewb Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for my ignorance but why is WGU such a popular topic here if it is an online only school? Maybe it's the material?

Why don't you guys just do distance learning at a brick and mortar school? If cost is an issue because you're an out of state student then there are some colleges that don't care if you're out of state. You just have to look. Or you could just to the simple thing and take online classes at a college in your state. The material may not be as technical or as hands on but at least you graduate from a more reputable and accredited college.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's popular here because these are certification forums and the degree includes a lot of certifications. We also have quite a few active members that attend the school.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Simply put, traditionally most B&M colleges don't offer a full BS in IT online only. If they did, at best you'd be able to take 2-4 classes a term and for someone like me who needed 110 credits or so, it's simply not a viable option.

I however have 7 years experience with IT and this degree is simply a check mark to progress in my career

Edit: also people in your city/state may know your local schools but if you move out of state, chances are unless its a top school no one there has heard of any of your schools "reputability" either.

Also WGU is the only regionally accredited online university in America, same body has Washington State and BYU.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @YuckTheFankees: There is a difference between CNSS certified and NSA/CAE institutions. This has of course caused broad confusion. I'm not as convinced as others that it makes that big of a deal. I know that some institutions are considering not trying to re-certify after their certification expires.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    newb wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance but why is WGU such a popular topic here if it is an online only school? Maybe it's the material?

Why don't you guys just do distance learning at a brick and mortar school? If cost is an issue because you're an out of state student then there are some colleges that don't care if you're out of state. You just have to look. Or you could just to the simple thing and take online classes at a college in your state. The material may not be as technical or as hands on but at least you graduate from a more reputable and accredited college.

It's popular here because it's a very appealing option for professionals with industry experience.

It's cost effective, fully accredited, includes popular certifications and doesn't waste your time. I haven't seen any B&M school that competes with WGU's offering and certainly no B&M school that compares with WGU's price point.

What makes you think WGU isn't reputable or accredited? Why would something be 'wrong' with an online only school?

At the end of the day, it comes down to value. What value advantage would 'just doing distance-learning at a B&M school' have over attending WGU?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    ttishttish Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you work in the field and have a few people to bounce questions off of the peer group issue shouldn't be a problem. The biggest issue is self motivation. Do NOT apply for any online school unless you're willing to spend hours a day doing school work (without being told to).