Options

hosts.deny/host.allow. WhatTheFudging?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I'm reading my book (I've been more than slacking on this!) and I got to a part saying:

/etc/hosts.deny | vsftpd: ALL
/etc/hosts.allow | vsftpd: 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.102

"Be aware that hosts.deny is read and applied first, followed by hosts.allow. That means any directive in hosts.allow trumps any conflicting directive in hosts.deny. If an unauthorized host tries to connect, the request fails."

It's probably because I've been around other filtering methods but the context seems wrong to me.
1) If hosts.deny is read first AND the /etc/hosts.deny is written to deny everything - wouldn't everything be denied?

So in theory:
A packet comes from 192.168.1.10. It's read by hosts.deny (Afterall, It's read first). The packet is dropped (It's filter marks ALL). That's it. /etc/hosts.allow will never get a chance to say "Whoa boy, simmer down!"

With that said:

"Any directive in hosts.allow trumps any conflicting directive in hosts.deny"
Hosts.allow will overrule hosts.deny checking.

My Question:
Am I reading this correctly?
If yes: Why is /etc/hosts.deny read first prior allowing service access?

It seems inefficient to not use /etc/hosts.allow first, and then have /etc/hosts.deny read second.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    AFAIK, allow is the first one and then the deny.
    so in reality, 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.102 will have access to the vsftp daemon, and then the rest will all be denied access.

if it was the other way around, those IP will not have access no matter what. since the deny will be read first and deny access to all stations.

e.g.
    /etc/hosts.allow ---> in.telnetd : 192.168.47.0/255.255.255.0
    /etc/hosts.deny ---> in.telnetd : ALL

will permit network 192.168.47.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 to login with telnet and any other network will get an access denied msg.
  • Options
    That's what I was assuming, dealing with the implicit deny for ACLs - that made sense to have the Allow to be read first. It didn't make any sense to me how it was written :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    Testing in on a real system always provides the best answer to dilemmas. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I agree that labbing with the book helps to retain, as well as solves it's own issue.

The way I have my current lab, I have a lot of trouble doing it. I'm going to plop down the cash for a new nic soon. Trying to decide Dual or Quad (Lack of expansion slots in my dying motherboard!)

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure about which one is read first but it is possible for it to read host.deny first and then host.allow and not necessarily drop the packet immediately upon reading host.deny. It would depend on the type of access list it is. I think the term might be last match or something like that which is probably a less common type of firewall these days. If you ever use the freebsd firewall then you would have to specify the word quick for it to drop the packet immediately upon finding a match. Without that word it would go down the entire list. Not necessarily saying this is how host.deny/host.allow works but it is possible for an access list to operate that way.

Edit ipfilter is the firewall I was referring to. Basically the last matching rule applies. From what I've read that seems to be a fairly old way of doing things. It's also normally stateless without adding a specific flag.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    So I'm reading my book (I've been more than slacking on this!) and I got to a part saying:

/etc/hosts.deny | vsftpd: ALL
    /etc/hosts.allow | vsftpd: 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.102

"Be aware that hosts.deny is read and applied first, followed by hosts.allow. That means any directive in hosts.allow trumps any conflicting directive in hosts.deny. If an unauthorized host tries to connect, the request fails."

It's probably because I've been around other filtering methods but the context seems wrong to me.
    1) If hosts.deny is read first AND the /etc/hosts.deny is written to deny everything - wouldn't everything be denied?

So in theory:
    A packet comes from 192.168.1.10. It's read by hosts.deny (Afterall, It's read first). The packet is dropped (It's filter marks ALL). That's it. /etc/hosts.allow will never get a chance to say "Whoa boy, simmer down!"

With that said:

"Any directive in hosts.allow trumps any conflicting directive in hosts.deny"
    Hosts.allow will overrule hosts.deny checking.

My Question:
    Am I reading this correctly?
    If yes: Why is /etc/hosts.deny read first prior allowing service access?

It seems inefficient to not use /etc/hosts.allow first, and then have /etc/hosts.deny read second.

The book is WRONG !!!
    Actually, both /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny are read, but when construct the access control table (a sort of ACL), first occurrence in hosts.allow is considered, access is granted and no more (similar to Cisco ACLs) entries are processed; if no matching entries in hosts.allow, but in hosts.deny, then access is forbiden, otherwise access is granted if no match for any /etc/hosts.* (implicit is grant all, the opposite to Cisco deny all)
    More details: man hosts_access; man hosts_options
    ACCESS CONTROL FILES
           The access control software consults two files. The  search  stops  at
           the first match:

�      Access  will  be granted when a (daemon,client) pair matches an
                  entry in the /etc/hosts.allow file.

�      Otherwise, access will be denied when  a  (daemon,client)  pair
                  matches an entry in the /etc/hosts.deny file.

�      Otherwise, access will be granted.

Note: if same entry is specified in both files, then access is allowed; for ex. if both files contain:
    vsftpd: 192.168.1.10
    OR even:
    vsftpd: ALL
    then host 192.168.1.10 can access ftp server
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When in doubt, read the man page :)

$man hosts.allow
    ACCESS CONTROL FILES
           The access control software consults two files. The search stops at the first match:

·      Access will be granted when a (daemon,client) pair matches an entry in the /etc/hosts.allow file.

·      Otherwise, access will be denied when a (daemon,client) pair matches an entry in the /etc/hosts.deny file.

·      Otherwise, access will be granted.

A non-existing access control file is treated as if it were an empty file. Thus, access control can be turned off by providing no access control files.

“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs