Question about Building Lab??

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
1) The faq talks about using Hyper terminal to access the router. Is there a substitute I can use?

2)For the crossover cable I am assuming there is some sort of adapter that converts the [SIZE=-1]DB-9 female connector to USb connection type. Does it have to be a Cisco Console cable or can I use any Console cable[/SIZE]?
[SIZE=-1]
3)[/SIZE]Access Server: Most people are recommending the CISCO 2511. Is this ok?

4)Can I pick these cables up at Wal-Mart Staples, or New Egg or am I better off getting all my cables from Ebay?

Will be Building this lab slowly over time. Starting with the 1841 routers, Terminal Server, then adding switches 2950 or 2960

icon_cool.gif
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. Any "Terminal Emulator" will work. Tera Term, SecreCRT...
    2. Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories
    3. Yes. 2511/2509. There's RJ and Octal cable versions. Depending on which you want to deal with. You can also use a module, plug it into a router and have that act as the access server.
    4. You can make crossover cables, roll over cables. However, if you're going with the "Octal" cable you'll be screwed if an end goes bad.

See my signature for some more information.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out this page, some helpful information regarding cables -
    The contents of this page is informational only and complements of DANTRAK
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    You can also use a module, plug it into a router and have that act as the access server.

I definitely have to look into this. Thanks for pointing this out.

downloading Cisco Manual NOw icon_smile.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• moasadmoasad Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

This is my first post on this site and im really excited about learning lotts and being able to set up a lab.
    Ok here goes... i Have 2x1721 1x1750 a 1x2516and 2x3750 switches. i have only just about got these and im thinking about buying a 2511 access server and a octal cable.
    I dont know what my best options are, i would like to eventually be able to login remotely and be able to power of my lab and use it. i dont want to spend too much either. but wiling to pay for something that is worth it. i have plans to continue to do ccnp and ccie one day. i dont want to use gns3 as i believe nothing beats playing with real gear. any advise please?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've thought about doing that, but a Digi CM32 is cheaper, and easier to use. I'll probably eventually just pick up one those instead of an Async module.
    I've thought about doing that, but a Digi CM32 is cheaper, and easier to use. I'll probably eventually just pick up one those instead of an Async module.

i will look into what digi CM32 is.. im so excited about being able to create a lab and login to it remotley, i wish i had all the kit needed.
    are the digi CM32 easly available?
    When I checked it out the CM32 was available... but .. er... a lot more money. I checked it out when it was first mentioned (and I seen it) and then when I was shopping for a terminal server because I did more walking between the desk and the lab than labbing.

Now I check ebay, and it's a lot cheaper than my 2511. Ah well.

once i either get the CM32 or the 2511 and its set up. can i remotely login to the lab? will i need anything else to gain remote access?
  • New2ITNew2IT Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am new to computer networking. Is a Cisco 1600 router good enough to practice on? Is there a free terminal emulator program for Windows 7 (free for more than 30 days)? I have a netbook with Windows XP and Hyper Terminal, but I also have a laptop with Windows 7 and I need to find an emulator for it.
  • New2ITNew2IT Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you Ltat42a.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep the comments comming.. Thanks for the heads up on the Digi CM32 Will be using this in place of the Cisco 2511.

Basically to set this up.. I plug all the cross over cables into the Digi cm32. then plug the main one console cable to my computer , correct??

Wish someone would make a video on doing this?
    Here's a thread dedicated to the Digi CM32, some good tips in here -

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/75642-digi-cm32-console-server.html