Options

Route is done!!

ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
Well my fellow TE members I can finally post a pass on the 640-902 (Route)!!! I got a 895. I have been studying on and off since the summer and it feels great to have it under my belt. As for study materials I used Chris Bryant, IPexpert, and the FLG.

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats mate. Have a few beers this weekend.

Is it switch next for you then?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Thank you. No. I am going to get my CCNP voice first then back to finish up the CCNP R&S. Next on the agenda is the CVOICE.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats Shanman, great work!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Congrats.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Congrats to you! Can't wait to knock out my first CCNP exam.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dude. Awesome :D
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fan-freaking-tastic! Route's a tough one. Nicely done, sir.
  • Options
    mustafasur30mustafasur30 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats,
    what do you recommend to practice the exam questions ???
  • Options
    rchaserchase Member Posts: 126
    Congrats man! Do you feel that FLG and Chris videos were enough or would you recommend IPexpert as well?
  • Options
    Congrats,
    what do you recommend to practice the exam questions ???

I used Boson for my practice exams. Great software and highly recommended.

Thank you everybody. Yes route was not an easy exam but with hard work and perseverance I got through it. Only getting a couple hours a night to study stinks but it is what you make of it that counts. I would also like to thank everyone here for there help along the way. I might not have asked the all the questions but I am always reading other people's threads and gaining info. I have learned a ton in the past couple years and I would not be where I am today without my fellow TE members. Thank you to all for making the site top notch!!!icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    rchase wrote: »
    Congrats man! Do you feel that FLG and Chris videos were enough or would you recommend IPexpert as well?

Honesty I think I went over kill on the material. I even forgot to mention that I also used CBTs. Chris Bryant, FLG, and this forum were my main source of information. That being said you will be fine with just that. Good luck!
  • Options
    Shanman wrote: »
    Honesty I think I went over kill on the material. I even forgot to mention that I also used CBTs. Chris Bryant, FLG, and this forum were my main source of information. That being said you will be fine with just that. Good luck!

Nice! I'm planning on reading FLG, watch Chris, and home lab/GNS3 for Route. I'm working on finishing my last CCNP Voice exam first though then hit CCNP
  • Options
    Nice! I'm planning on reading FLG, watch Chris, and home lab/GNS3 for Route. I'm working on finishing my last CCNP Voice exam first though then hit CCNP

That is the direction I am heading. Getting ready to start working on CVOICE. Do you have any suggestions for me?
  • Options
    7of97of9 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on CVOICE! :)
    Working on Security+ study, then going back to re-do my Cisco Certs, in between dodging moose and riding my Harley
  • Options
    Read the Sybex book first, then read the Cisco Press book if you can handle it (not well written IMO, but does hit topics a little deeper than SYBEX). I also recommend KWallace's videos at 1examamonth.com. My main advice is nnot to get discouraged by CVOICE because it is so much material to cover, but once you get to CIPT1 and CIPT2 then those are fun and everything starts to come together and make sense.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats!

As far as prep materials, I used Chris Bryant as the core material for ROUTE preparation. Besides going through his materials (and following the labs in the text), I'd advise looking at the free Cisco ROUTE Lab manual, and running through that thing about three times. I also used Boson exam preparation material (one of their best parts is their explanations and reference links). After going through all that, the exam should be a piece of cake.

Maybe I need to add that thread (the one about free lab manuals) to my signature or something, I keep having to search for it whenever the topic of prep materials comes up.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Read the Sybex book first, then read the Cisco Press book if you can handle it (not well written IMO, but does hit topics a little deeper than SYBEX). I also recommend KWallace's videos at 1examamonth.com. My main advice is nnot to get discouraged by CVOICE because it is so much material to cover, but once you get to CIPT1 and CIPT2 then those are fun and everything starts to come together and make sense.

Thank you. I will do just that. I figured I would use the sybex book first then the CP. I am also getting the INE video series. If I have any question I will know who to ask. Here goes nothing and on to voice I go. :)
    Congratulations!

Thank you
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    instant,
    have you passed the Route?

Yeah. I passed ROUTE back in May of 2012. But since that time, I changed jobs and was trying to finish out my WGU, so my CCNP studies were caught in a holding pattern as a result.

Now, I'm to the point where I'm going to have the Oral Presentation for the Capstone in a couple weeks, God willing.

I didn't completely stop other reading in the meantime. I've gone through Clark's LAN Switching, TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 1, and I'm currently going through Interconnections. (Unlimited SafariBooksOnline subscription, yay!) So, it kept my mind in the game, just not to the "level" necessary to give a Cisco exam its due respect. (as in, putting in some serious flash card and CLI time).

So, to do my SWITCH prep, my plan is Chris Bryant's book, including working through all the scenarios he presents, and then going through the Cisco SWITCH Lab Manual (the free one online) about three times. After that, it would be Boson test prep (purchased their ROUTE/SWITCH set) supplemented by any other reading or labbing I needed to do for anything that I turned out to be weak in.

Once I start "formal" studying for SWITCH, I should post up a thread about it, probably in a format similar to the one I did for CCNA:Security.

After that, it would be TSHOOT. I don't plan on doing the BOSON for that one (unless I somehow already bought it, but I think I only bought the ones for ROUTE and SWITCH).

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I hope to join the ranks of having NP Route completed in about 6 weeks myself. I am also using a lot of the same prep material. I plan on using the Boson simulator questions once I am done reading and have more labs completed. Thanks for sharing what you used and good luck with your future certs!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Well I guess I have sometime to finish off my switch and tshoot after all. My boss told me to finish off the CCNP and then I can get back on the voice track. So with that switch here I come. I do switching everyday so this should be the easier of the two for me. Hoping to have this done in a couple months.
  • Options
    7of97of9 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll hopefully be doing SWITCH right around then, too, with a brief detour for JNCIA-Junos in the meantime. :)
    Working on Security+ study, then going back to re-do my Cisco Certs, in between dodging moose and riding my Harley