Options

Cryptography

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I'm taking this cryptography class and it's kicking my butt.
The math behind it is really crazy and finite math has been the highest level
that I've competed at the university. Discrete math was something that I had to withdraw from.

Does anyone have any helpful books that they can recommend to help me out?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    It depends on the Cryptography course that you're taking. Some introductory courses will include minimal math, but any serious Cryptography course will be math-heavy.

I took an intensive Cryptography class during my undergrad, and Discrete Math (specially the Number theory) was a prerequisite.

Anyway, I haven't touched this topic since undergrad, but this is one good book that I thought of buying recently:

Everyday Cryptography: Fundamental Principles and Applications: Keith M. Martin: 9780199695591: Amazon.com: Books

Not sure if this book contain all the topics you need for your specific course, but it contains most of the academic topics.

As you already know, Google is your best friend, there is a great deal of information freely available online on the topic.

Where are you taking this course?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Most of the cryptography stuff I've worked with has either been factorization of large prime numbers or discrete mathematics in a finite field. Neither one are particularly fun in my opinion. Sounds like you are a lot like me...the cryptography theory comes easy, but the math, not so easy. But that's half the battle. Ironically, I've met some math majors that are just the opposite. They get the mathematics, but when you apply the mathematics to something real-world like cryptography...they go stupid. Unfortunately, most high-level resources on cryptography are going to assume the knowledge of the mathematics. Your best bet is probably to do a personal side-study in discrete math.
  • Options
    umarbhattiumarbhatti Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took Data Sec in my undergrad degree as well, and the level of maths that i needed to know what ridiculous.
    My overall mark at the end of the semester was 47% i had to speak to the lecturer who gave me an extra 3% to pass the course *phew*
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I'm was fine and rather proficient with calc/diff eq in undergrad but absolutely abhor probability and discrete math! I have resigned myself to the conceptual side of cryptography icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Most of the cryptography stuff I've worked with has either been factorization of large prime numbers or discrete mathematics in a finite field. Neither one are particularly fun in my opinion.

you dealt with Cryptography on the job or at uni?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I have resigned myself to the conceptual side of cryptography icon_neutral.gif

ditto icon_lol.gif