Options

Thinkpad T430 Windows Update Issue

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So in the past year we've converted from Dell to Lenovo. Honestly, anyone thinking about making the switch I highly suggest it. A quick aside, we had a laptop with bad memory (found after running their hardware tool). I called, waited on hold for a little bit (nothing too bad) and was connected to someone in Georgia. He didn't even ask me for an error code or to even troubleshoot. Just asked where to ship the part and in the event that I couldn't get it in properly that I could escalate for onsite service. Very happy thus far with all the equipment.

Anyhow, since they stopped making the 420's we've just received some 430's and of course I had to make a new image. For about two hours yesterday I was fighting to get Windows Updates to install and it just kept failing. I called it a night and started again this morning with the same issue. I was stumped as to what the issue was because there didn't appear to be an error code. Plug it in to trusty Google and find out the T430 has a known issue where updates fail to install. The fix? Install KB2647753, reboot, and then try again. PRESTO! Updates installed without issue! Figured I post it to help anyone with the same issue.

Brand New T430 and Failure to Install Windows Upda... - Lenovo Community
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    So in the past year we've converted from Dell to Lenovo. Honestly, anyone thinking about making the switch I highly suggest it.

I have both of them and find the design of Lenovos of comparable models to be better (comparing apples to apples). However, Lenovos come with standard mail-in/depot warranty while the Dells come with onsite warranty.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    A quick aside, we had a laptop with bad memory (found after running their hardware tool). I called, waited on hold for a little bit (nothing too bad) and was connected to someone in Georgia. He didn't even ask me for an error code or to even troubleshoot. Just asked where to ship the part and in the event that I couldn't get it in properly that I could escalate for onsite service. Very happy thus far with all the equipment.

Anyhow, since they stopped making the 420's we've just received some 430's and of course I had to make a new image.

I have a W520 which runs cooler but has developed a crack on the right thumb rest area. I would like to get it repaired. However, several posts online seem to indicate they are being rejected. icon_sad.gif

How do you like your T430?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't like the T430s as much as I did the T420s. Mostly it has to do with the fact that they changed the keyboards. More difficult to remove and in my opinion, more difficult to type on.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Thanks for posting. I JUST moved from the pasty little Dell Lattitudes to the T430s. I think there will be some jeleous folk in the office. It just looks too smooth (but not as smooth as our Apple gear).
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm still using my 420 so haven't played with the 430 other then to image it. I like that it is so much smaller, but haven't had to replace any parts on it yet. I don't like that the ram is in two different locations though. When I got the ram replacement they flat out said try the one on the battery side first as it's easier to get to. God help you if it's under the keyboard! We paid extra for the onsite service just as a buffer if we were really busy and couldn't get to fixing whatever is broken.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can't stand the mouse pad on the laptop itself. The bumps drive me crazy, but the machines are built much better. However if you do actual break fix (switching system boards etc) they take a little while longer and they have a ton of screws.

I do like the fax they put a protective rubber casing around the drive. That little piece really helps against drive failures.

Anyway thanks for the update I will pass this on to some former coworkers just in case they are running into this same issue. They are in a Lenovo shop as well.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I use to have this issue a lot with XP SP3 when I worked in a depot. Images would load fine, but the updates would loop or stick. Every reboot was accompanied by a "Configuring Windows Updates..." and it would fail after 5 minutes. It was an issue with an older .net update trying to install over a newer version of the software. It took us ages to figure it out. While this doesn't apply to me today, it might be helpful in the future. Thanks for the post, hopefully this will remain an isolated issue.