Options

Frame Relay - IP addressing

Christopher DobkowskiChristopher Dobkowski Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there everyone! :)

I'm just wondering... If you have multipoint frame-relay configuration (3 routers connected over frame-relay switch) do you need to have IP's in the same subnet on serial interfaces of the routers? I believe yes, but correct me if I'm wrong.
For example, in pint-to-point ppp you do not need to have IP's in the same subnet on both directly connected interfaces.

Thanks in advance! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Hi there everyone! :)

I'm just wondering... If you have multipoint frame-relay configuration (3 routers connected over frame-relay switch) do you need to have IP's in the same subnet on serial interfaces of the routers? I believe yes, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    For example, in pint-to-point ppp you do not need to have IP's in the same subnet on both directly connected interfaces.

Thanks in advance! icon_thumright.gif

If the two in a ppp connection are not in the same subnet, would it be a problem for the router to determine the network interface based on the next hop ip when forwarding a packet?
  • Options
    Christopher DobkowskiChristopher Dobkowski Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope, they're point-to-point and are using PPP encapsulation and that does not obligate u to have IP in the same subnet for them to communicate. :) I think it's because ur using RARP instead of ARP.. Correct me if I'm wrong icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the two in a ppp connection are not in the same subnet, would it be a problem for the router to determine the network interface based on the next hop ip when forwarding a packet?
    By default, PPP negotiates a host route to its neighbor. After the PPP link comes up, you can do a show ip route connected and you'll see it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%