Study Material Freely Available on the Net?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
As I grow into my job I am starting to find more ways of being more efficient and spending less time of things I have spent much more time on in the past. The end result is more downtime icon_sad.gif Yes I know I probably should be seeking for other things to do that result in busy work but there is only so much that can be done on slow days like Sundays specifically.

I thought as an option I would be able to remote to my computer at home from work and use my masses of study material I have on my computer. Turns out I can't establish RDP from work to home, I'd assume its being blocked from my company firewalls/ etc. So in turn I am looking for other ways I can use my time. Sundays are especially slow and I want to use some of my downtime on these days to study for my upcoming exams.

Anybody know of any free content available online that is legitimate that can be used for studying in my downtime? Please DO NOT suggest a brain **** site, I am very against these and I know many people here are as well. I am looking for actual publications or documents written by reputable sources that will aid in my downtime / study efforts.

Thanks!
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Just go through whitepapers from Cisco. Study guides aren't really necessary when Cisco publish plenty of content and configuration guidelines on their website.

Also this was useful: The Online CCNP Study Guide
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was actually just thinking about doing that and going through Cisco's content online. I will probably do this. I will also look into the guide you posted. Thanks!
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why not just put the study materials you wanted to access remotely onto a flash drive and use them locally
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
    Thought of this as well. I will have to double check though I am not sure if my company computers even allow the use a flash drive at all without elevated user privileges. I'll know tomorrow though because I plan to bring it.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Google Drive, Dropbox, Skydrive...

All options if you can't use RDP.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Hooray I can use a flash drive!! Wish I could remote in and do some labs too on GNS3. I will explore those options you guys gave me! Thanks! Reps!
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can run the standalone version of GNS3 off of a flash drive. Dunno if you have the CPU/RAM to handle it, but its possible.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    There is a great channel on youtube that has some really nice CCNP videos - CCIEonTraining. I am at the very beginning of my CCNP studies so I'm not very advanced at all but I got soo much out of them. Hope this was of any help
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Thanks, this is truly an awesome site icon_cheers.gif
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Im addicted to the videos on gns3vault.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I use Google Drive and a WD Passport that I carry with me everywhere I go. gns3vault is great too... assuming you have GNS3 loaded on your work PC.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    You can run the standalone version of GNS3 off of a flash drive. Dunno if you have the CPU/RAM to handle it, but its possible.

Really? I did not know this! I will give this a try!
  • angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think that these 2 are known by pretty much everybody here but it doesn't hurt to post it again

Keith Barker - YouTube
    RouterGods - YouTube

also this free ebook (.) has pretty good reviews in amazon CCNP ROUTE Complete Guide 1st Edition: The book that makes you an IP Routing Expert!: Yap Chin Hoong -: 9781453807668: Amazon.com: Books
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
    Thanks everyone for the extra ideas. I am trying to sway from Videos because my director sits in an office literally 10 feet behind me. Now that I know I can use a flash drive I will be doing that much more.

Also, I do have a hard copy of Yap Chin Hoong's book. I will have to get the e-book as well!