Options

IT Graduate Needs advice and guidance on Certification Path

Qasim_KhanQasim_Khan Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
HiI have graduated with a degree in Computer Science and am looking to get some certifications to boost my career, i have always been doing stuff with computers from an early age, I have 2 years experience working as I.T Technician. I just need some advice on where to start. I have had a look at A+ and the windows 70-680 Exam, where should i start? Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated :)Many Thanks Qasim

Comments

• Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your Graduation. Take a look at all the Courses you studied and try to figure out which ones you enjoyed the most . Also take a peek at the Onet online website. This is a govt sponsored website. It shows a list of fields that have the brightest outlook for jobs.

Also You want to try to figure out what path you want to do down. system admin, Networking, programming, Hardware, etc..

Im sure there is more. But definitely check out the Onet online website. Good LUck
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Thank you for the welcome :)

I didn't enjoy programming at university that's one path i don't really want to go down. I enjoyed working as an IT Technician, this was part of my university placement , love the hands on stuff, building, trouble shooting ect but i feel i need to advance. I studied multi-service networks which i did enjoy. Should i backup my experience with a cert, i do want to go into networking, virtualisation and server based stuff. Just dont know where to start. [FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another welcome to the forums!

Where do your interests lie? Do you want to be working on servers or do you want to be working on CLI (networking)? Personally, I hated programming classes and that put me off networking completely. I'd rather have a GUI to work on, but being able to script gets you that magic geek cred and can make your life easier when you need to create 100 user accounts or make the same change to 200 servers.

You've got 2 years experience, so I reckon your well past the A+ stage by now. Like I said above, if you want to be working on servers, start on any of the server exams. Start on the MCSE on Windows Server 2012. The 70-680 Win 7 exam isnt just a client exam, it tests you on a few server technologies and isnt a walk in the park by any means. I recommend you start on the MCSE: Server Infrastructure exams, it'll be a steep learning curve but if you put the effort in, it isnt too hard.

Ask up if there are any more questions! Stick around and you'll learn a ton around here...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I want to go down a route that does not have much programming, I would prefer GUi over hardcore programming as I really don't enjoy it.

I have just had a look at the windows exam server structure, Would it be be better to start from the bottom and maybe do the mcsa windows server 2012? Or is it best to start on the Mcse server infrastructure?

How long does it generally take to cover Mcse server infrastructure exam if reasonable amount of work is put in.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the reply's everyone, after having a look through the site i am still unsure what Exam I should start of with. Would you recommend I start With

70-410 - Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
    70-411 - Administering Windows Server 2012
    70-412 - Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services

Then

MCSA: Windows Server 2012 (Prerequisite)
    70-413 - Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure
    70-414 - Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure

Then

70-680
    70-685

And then maybe some CCENT/CCNA, Do the CCENT/CCNA Exams have a lot pf programming involved?

And then Some Cloud And Virtualisation.

What would be the best thing to start of with including the order i should do the Certifications in, Ify ou have any other recommendations/ suggestions in terms of the path and Exams as well as topics, please let me know, as i am just a beginner, Just need some guidance.
  • Options
    MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    I would start with CompTIA employer tend to go what the... when they see little no experienced paired up with a MCSA or MCSE. But then again its always a plus to have certifications. I am just saying you should work your way up.
  • Options
    I would NOT recommend any of the CrapTIA exams to anyone who's got more than a year of experience, maybe Security+ for DoD work in the US is the exception.

To the OP, the MCSA: on 2012 is probably a good start and then the rest of the them can follow. I might pass on the 680 too for now, do the server exams for now and by then Win 8 exams will be out (if they arent already!). The 685 is a Desktop Support focused exam and if you are into server admin work, then pass on that too.

If the Microsoft stuff gets boring, throw in the CCENT/CCNA. Mind you, the CCENT on its own holds little value. Many Cisco folks themselves havent heard of the CCENT, however it may show the potential employer that you have an interest in networking and are working towards the CCNA. There is NO programming involved in the CCNA, there's CLI stuff though . you punch in commands at the command line. That's how Cisco devices are configured.

Focus on the systems/servers side of things first, Virtualization can follow later. You need to be a sys admin before you can be cloud admin!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate all the responses and Advice.

I shall start on the server Exams First. Do you Advise I start with 70-410 and make my way up.

If the CCNA is command line that shouldn't be too bad, am sure I'll be able to get my head round that hopefully when the time comes, but first i shall focus on the server side like you said.
  • Options
    Yeah I'd start with the 410 and then work my way through.

The CCNA isnt all command line, in fact most of it isnt command line. They'll ask you questions about what command can do what and where it should be used. You'll have a number of simulations though (cant tell how many) where you'll need to configure switches and/or routers. Not too difficult if you put in the time.

Another thing that's important is you need to have a lab machine to be able to play around with the server OS. You'll need an x64 machine that's Virtualization capable. Lots of RAM (more than 16GB is good) and a decent processor are what you really need. An SSD or two is great for storage but you can get by with SATA ones too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    OK i shall start with the 410.

Ok that's not too bad, apparently one of my networks module at University did cover some of the CCNA topics, that should help once i start to study for it.

I have my gaming Machine, which I''' be using, currently at 4 Gig , Maximus Extreme IV Mobo , And 2600K CPU , Just realized my CPU does not support Virtualisation, so Ill be buying a CPU And Some RAM and i should be ready to go.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The i7 2600k DEFINITELY supports virtualization...it's a hyperthreaded quad-core processor! Depending on what virtualization software you use you might have to enable some BIOS settings. Also I would recommend more RAM...8gb min, 16gb is ideal for running multiple VM's.