Options

1 Domain 2 Server 2 Locations Problem - Please help...

Hello Guys,

In our company they are currently developing an application which would be hosted on 2 locations(City A and City B). What they want is that User from City A would use the server in City A and the user in City B would use the server in City B. How is that possible is there anything to change in the DNS (Server 2008r2) or it will be a program logic which needs to be changed.

Please help me on this.

Comments

• Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    Have you set up your sites in Active Directory Sites and Services? I'd start there, you can assign the subnets you're using in each site to each site. Then make sure the programmers know how program this application to stay with in the site.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to map two IP addresses to 1 domain name (www.app.company.com)? 1st IP in City A's DNS and 2nd IP in City B's DNS?
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows DNS does subnet prioritization and should use the local subnet for the server.

some resources on it:
    DNS Physical Structure
    Setting up a Geo DNS environment in your test lab – part I - Johan’s Web Portal
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Can you describe the infrastructure further?

You say it will be "hosted on/in 2 locations". Do you mean there will be 2 application/web servers? Are there DC's at this site? Are you using site proxies? Is the application a web app?

An archaic but very easy fix is to deploy a location-specific hosts file as a user logon script via GPO. If you already have site OU's then this would be fairly straightforward.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    lsud00d - There would be two locations and each location will have a separate server.