Options

Switch Catalyst Problem

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I received another Catalyst Switch 2900 XL due to the other one same model showing amber lights on its ports. From ports 25 to 48 on my current switch, the green lights on not displaying and I can't activate any ports, whenever I enter the no shutdown command:

00:09:24: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/27, changed state to up
00:09:24: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/27, changed state to down

Could this be because VLAN1 status is up when I run show ip interface brief? Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    So have you plugged anything in? The port won't stay up if there's nothing plugged into it.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Yes, from my router.
  • Options
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    Yes, from my router.

Ok, is the router's ethernet port enabled as well?
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Ok, is the router's ethernet port enabled as well?

Yes, I forgot to mention that I am using a console port for the switch.
  • Options
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    Yes, I forgot to mention that I am using a console port for the switch.

So router's fa0/0 is enabled... and you're plugged into sw fa0/27... should come right up. Post your intf configs on both devices. Also, have you wiped this sucker clean, like deleting the vlan.dat, etc?
  • Options
    So router's fa0/0 is enabled... and you're plugged into sw fa0/27... should come right up. Post your intf configs on both devices. Also, have you wiped this sucker clean, like deleting the vlan.dat, etc?

No, I haven't but when I entered no vlan 1, it stated A default VLAN may not be deleted and it looks like all my ports are in vlan 1 by default after I ran show vlan brief.
  • Options
    you can't delete vlan 1...
  • Options
    Finally got it thanks.