Options

800 vs 700 Series Difficulty?

windycity84windycity84 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking to take the A+ certification, but was wondering if anyone here knew if the 800 series is more difficult than 700 series?

From a few online articles I've read I can distinguish the differences between the two series, but not any levels of varying difficulty.
I have no experience repairing computers but I am dedicated and consider myself a quick learner.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Difficulty would be roughly the same because its the same cert just a newer version. its still an entry level cert though so you will be fine.

If your are just starting out now go for the 800 series. The 700 series exams end in august.

800 series includes some new topics as well that would be useful to understand.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 800 series is geared toward a tech with 1 yr and the 700 series is geared toward 6 months. The 800 series has new objectives as well as updated ones. The 800 series (compared to the 700 series) is harder but it is still an entry level exam.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    For the most part the difficulty level is the same. However, one of the significant differences between the 800 series exams and the 700 series exams is that the 800 series exams can have performance based questions but the 700 series exams never had them. If you don't know the material, these types of questions are more difficult. You usually can't just guess. This blog article talks a little about them: http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/comptia-performance-based-testing/.

Another thing to consider is when you expect to take and pass the exams. The 700 series exams expire August 31, 2013. If you haven't taken both the 701 and 702 by then, you'll have to take the 800 series exams to get the certification.
  • Options
    ctg7w6ctg7w6 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My biggest question is... I bought the Mike Meyers book, the latest one and it covers the 800 series.

I've heard that the 700 series is easier, but is it easier even if you study with the 800 series book? Is there different material?

Would the 800 series books prepare me adequately for the 700 series exams, or am I better off just taking the 800 series exams?
  • Options
    vsanchez104vsanchez104 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you're better off taking the 800 exams of that's what you're studying for. I myself am currently reading exam cram 800 series book to take the exam next month.
  • Options
    @ctg7w6. Welcome to the forums. I'd echo vsanchez104 that you're better off taking the exams that match the materials you using. There is some overlap but there are some differences. I doubt you'll find the 700 series exams easy if you study from a book that covers the 800 series objectives.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ctg7w6ctg7w6 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the help guys. In the same vein... I was planning to watch all of the 700 AND 800 videos at Professor Messer. I'm guessing I should skip the 700 series?
  • Options
    jamzhilljamzhill Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @windycuty. if for whatever reason, you do prefer the 7 series, th certification is valid for 3 years even though the exam itself expires in Aug.
    all things considered, i would shoot for the newer 8 series, for the additional shelf-life. better roi.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They would both expire in 3 years so how would it be additional shelf life? As far as ROI, I've yet to have a place ask rather the 700 or 800 was taken, most just care that you're certified.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    ctg7w6 wrote: »
    I was planning to watch all of the 700 AND 800 videos at Professor Messer. I'm guessing I should skip the 700 series?
    There's nothing wrong with watching both sets of videos for the knowledge, but if you think you might not have time to watch them all, I'd focus on the exam you plan on taking first.