Study material for beating ROUTE information into my head

JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
I have watched the CBT videos, read the OCG and worked through the lab manual once. I plan to go through the lab manual again and work on some more labs from various sites online. I'm looking for a study guide that beats the little, hard to remember without looking it up, things into my head. I find myself drawing a blank at times on exact definitions or exact descriptions. I understand all the topics pretty well at this point, but I can't always remember all the little details and I know that is what will get me on the test.

Comments

• 7of97of9 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For some things, I find making my own flashcards helpful. I'm talking the picky little details like EIGRP K values or OSPF LSA types, that sort of thing. Beyond that, I find that doing more labs helps the details "stick" better. For me, something becomes more concrete when I actually do it and have to monkey with it to get it to work, debug it, fix it, etc.
    Working on Security+ study, then going back to re-do my Cisco Certs, in between dodging moose and riding my Harley
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had my other half test me by reading through the sections and asking me questions.We would do this 2-3 times a week and use different sources.Sometimes spending an hour on it. I also created a 80cm x 50cm glossy wall chart with mind map info on ospf and eigrp stuff on it and i'd read it every so often (its stuck on my wall) to keep those funny bits of info fresh in my mind. There's still some space left on it so if I needed to add stuff I can.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    MrXpert wrote: »
    I had my other half test me by reading through the sections and asking me questions.We would do this 2-3 times a week and use different sources.Sometimes spending an hour on it.

Lucky you. I'm pretty sure I'd be laughed at if I asked my wife to read this stuff to me. And that's after offering to help her when her work required her to take Security+ 3 years ago.
    I also created a 80cm x 50cm glossy wall chart with mind map info on ospf and eigrp stuff on it and i'd read it every so often (its stuck on my wall) to keep those funny bits of info fresh in my mind. There's still some space left on it so if I needed to add stuff I can.

I think I've seen the term "mind map" before. Is that one of the chart things with a bunch of entries and lines linking "bit of info a" with "bit of info e" and "bit of info x"?
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes that's the mind map stuff. It seemed to help me and was fun sticking the ideas down like that. A bit like a family tree i suppose.
    To be honest I would never have passed if it were not for my wife's help and encouragement. I probably would have given up half way through ccna. She is a true beacon of inspiration to me. *soft violins playing*
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    7of9 wrote: »
    For some things, I find making my own flashcards helpful. I'm talking the picky little details like EIGRP K values or OSPF LSA types, that sort of thing. Beyond that, I find that doing more labs helps the details "stick" better. For me, something becomes more concrete when I actually do it and have to monkey with it to get it to work, debug it, fix it, etc.

This is exactly the type of info I'm trying to remember. I know the topics, but the specific details are what I have a hard time recalling. I will have to try the flashcards then.
  • 7of97of9 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    yes that's the mind map stuff. It seemed to help me and was fun sticking the ideas down like that. A bit like a family tree i suppose.
    To be honest I would never have passed if it were not for my wife's help and encouragement. I probably would have given up half way through ccna. She is a true beacon of inspiration to me. *soft violins playing*

That is really sweet. I've had my husband quiz me with flash cards for exams and he's sat in the room snickering through CBT videos. It really helps having a supportive team at home. icon_wink.gif
    Working on Security+ study, then going back to re-do my Cisco Certs, in between dodging moose and riding my Harley
  • llllvllllllllvllll Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The best thing to remember everything even small details is to teach someone. Try teaching some of your friends and believe me it really helps alot.
    I've started teaching CCNP and i know i wont forget these little things like Lsa's hello Packets details etc ever.

Try it once. :)

Good Luck.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I came across this information in another thread

How to study for your CCIE

I applied the same concepts to my Route studies and I love it! I feel like I am retaining more knowledge that I ever have! I highly suggest trying this.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's your routine, Daniel?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I follow the same guidelines in the article as far as repetitions go. I use this for my reading studies.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi