Options

Server Core 2008 R2 Remote management

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey having a dabble with Server Core 2008 R2. I have configured the I.P Address via sconfig and have allowed remote access currently the machine isn't on a domain or isn't acting as a DC currently it is part of the windows default Workgroup.

Question is from Win XP how do I remote into it? and also for Win 7 is there a easy solution?

Many Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    Ignore and delete :) has been resolved sconfig select remote desktop what a numpty lol

• Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you want to remote in from your host computer or another virtual machine? If the VM had a bridged network adapter and has on IP on the same subnet you can use RSAT for Windows 7 which will allow you to connect Server 2008 MMC consoles remotely. If for some reason XP is your only option you may be able to use some of the consoles using the Server 2003 version of RSAT though it's better to use the correct one.
  • Options
    Initially I wanted to remote into box via XP machine I have resolved this now, You can use RDC but make sure remote desktop is enabled via sconfig. I have just installed a tool called core configurator 2.0 takes the pain out of Server Core. I touched on RSAT briefly tonight, yet to try it out though as I have to download Service Pack 1.

The Only annoying thing I am finding lol is where I use both Linux and Windows I keep typing nix commands in the windows command line haha. I was sat there for about 10 minutes earlier swearing at the computer trying to do a ifconfig in windows :)

Was like why are you not outputting the f**king ip details is this thing broken or something then I realized I was typing in the linux variant also found that ls and dir are another pain in the ass.

it's all good fun though :)