failed the first one.

ajalex44ajalex44 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got a 716 this time out. I was using Exam Cram II and the ..For Dummies series as well as a couple of security design classes. I thought I was ready but there was quite a bit I just didn't recognise.

Any suggestions?
When you're up to your @55 in alligators, it's hard to remember that your original objective was to drain the swamp.

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi and welcome to the forum,

as you are rather close to the passing score (which is mid 700, iirc) I would recommend that you review your material, take a look at the TechNotes on this site and maybe take a look at the Syngress Security+ book.

I have read one Exam Cram book so far and I found it to be pretty bad (a pain to read and missing information) so maybe another book could be helpful.

On other thing crossing my mind. Take a look at the Vouchers at GetCertify4Less.com, they could save you some money on the second try. Look for the Promotion-Code here in the forums to get another small discount and help the site icon_smile.gif

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • ajalex44ajalex44 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll do that. Thanks for the input.

as an add-on, I have 3 tests remaining for my MCSE 2000 and I'm using the SEC+ as one of the electives since it carries it's own cert and will give the add on for the MCSE/security. I've done all this without actually working in the field. I really need to break in and start working in IT. Any comments along those lines? :D
    When you're up to your @55 in alligators, it's hard to remember that your original objective was to drain the swamp.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're welcome.

Sec+ is indeed a nice elective for both MCSE 2000 and 2003. Not to forget that it's a good stand-alone cert icon_smile.gif

If you haven't worked in the field then I would highly suggest getting some hands-on experience. There is NOTHING that can replace hands-on experience.

Since you probably have worked with Windows a lot I personally would recommend to give a Live Linux-CD (like Knoppix) a try and to make a few first steps into the Cisco world (that's always worth it).

Look at all the techniques and tools you are currently using and ask yourself if you really understand them down to the very bottom. Look around outside the Windows and M$ world and see what else you haven't got your hands on yet.

Of course it's your decision what you want to focus on, just my 0.02 EUR icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
    You're actually just saying what I've started to realize over the past few months myself. At the very least I want to get the hardware skills at the routers hubs and switches, etc. etc....

I appreciate your thoughts.

Thx
  • KittyfresitaKittyfresita Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed the first time I took it and I only used the Exam Cram book. For my second attempt I bought the Syngress book, which I found much better and explained more clearly most of the topics. I also used practice exams and the technotes from here. On my 2nd attempt I passed it.

Be sure to review: Digital Certificates, IPSec, PKI, attacks, honeypots, forensics, organizational security, encryption algorithms, firewalls, DMZ, intranets...

Good luck in your next attempt!

:D
    MCP, A+,Network+, MCSA, Security+, ITIL Foundations
    "And in the end, the love you take
    is equal to the love we made..."
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    I passed this one first time round. Better luck next time. I used the technotes from here, MS press, and Tcat. I also used 'learnkey' and CBT Nuggets' for video based training and good and faithful Tcat's guide.

Best of Luck :D:D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    ajalex44 wrote:
    I'll do that. Thanks for the input.

as an add-on, I have 3 tests remaining for my MCSE 2000 and I'm using the SEC+ as one of the electives since it carries it's own cert and will give the add on for the MCSE/security. I've done all this without actually working in the field. I really need to break in and start working in IT. Any comments along those lines? :D

Apply for a helpdesk position. Apparently I managed to get one with only one year of college schooling for network administration. I had no certifications at the time of hire either.

And from all the people I met at training, some seem to even be programmers, one is doing a co op semester although he's going to have a programming degree. Just try the online job websites :)

Good luck on the security+

I can vouch for the Syngress book, that's what I'm reading now.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
    I just finished putting up my resume on Dice and Computer jobs. Hopefully things will start happening! :D