Options

VMware Certified Professional (VCP)

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this one before, but I just stumbled upon the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification. In case you are as suprised as I was: yes, there's a certification for VMware.

The following 11 sections are included in the exam:

- Understand VMware Products
- Differentiate Among VMware Products
- Understand the Architecture of ESX Server
- Install and Configure ESX Server
- Operate and Manage ESX Server
- Configure Networking Under ESX Server
- Set ESX Server Resource Allocation Policies
- Administer Virtual Machines Under ESX Server
- Monitor and Tune ESX Server
- Configure Clustering Between ESX Server Virtual Machines
- Troubleshoot an ESX Server

Here are some example exam questions:
icon_arrow.gifwww.vmware.com/services/cert_questions.html

The exam consists of 80 questions. Question types include multiple-choice, single-answer, fill-in-the-blank, and true/false. Students may go back and review their responses at any time. To pass, you must answer at least 70% of the questions correctly.

It seems that an official instructor-led course is mandatory. And still they mention that the course doesn't ensure you can pass the exam. Looking at the areas and the example questions, all one would need is an evalutation copy of their products, a decent computer (with plenty of RAM) to run it, and different OSs (windows, linux) to run it in a home lab. Go through the documentation, and try out 'all' the different options. 'All' isn't 'that' much if you compare it to the CCNA or some Microsoft exams, which you can do by self-study...

Nevertheless, for some people this can be a very valuable addition to a resume. Plus you get a free copy of VMware Workstation... which might help convince your employer to pay for the course ;)

icon_arrow.gifwww.vmware.com/services/certification.html

Comments