Options

Beginners Books...

VincentZVincentZ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are some good books to use for beginners to servers and to Windows Server 2k3?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you have a fair understanding of clients (i.e. Windows XP), you'll have sufficient knowledge to start with one of the 70-290 study guides (I.e. MS Press Training Kit, or Sybex, or Exam Cram) which prepares you for the Windows 2003 Server exam, assuming that is what you want as well.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    There are 2 items that I found quite helpful as a beginner in Server W2k3.

These are not promoted as cert study guides. They're just basic information, but will get you started and give you some foundation to get serious with.

First, a book.
    Hands-On Microsoft Windows Server 2003, by Michael J. Palmer

Then a CD called Mastering Windows Server 2003, by BDG publishing. It comes with a 180-day evaluation version of the OS.

You'll have to get the book at Amazon or some other online source, or I'm sure that you could order it a Barnes & Noble or Borders, etc.
    Here's Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0619186089/qid%3D1123316923/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-3333025-4629709

Here's where you can get the CD. http://computersworth.com/manufacturer.cfm?manid=74

Don't expect a full-blown simulator on this CD. It's just a basic click, watch, and listen tutorial on how to do it. And, the book is very basic, but it's just a start.

Hope this helps.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm trying to set up a small network so I can get experience using WIN2k3. I am having a problem logging onto the network. I set up the server, Active Directory is up and running, and the client computer knows the domain exists because I can see it when I log on locally and the computer is registered as being on the domain. When I go into the logon screen and type in my username/password, it searches for about a minute and then tells me the domain is not available, even though it is up and running and my computer and the username is registered.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    This sounds like something that would happen when you're trying to join a client computer to a domain.

So you're seeing the domain in My Network Places and the client PC is showing up there too. Is the computer showing up in Active Directory Users and Computers? If it's not, add a new computer to the domain.
    Can you PING the client by name from the server and the server from the client? If not, you have an IP address problem. Be sure you have a DHCP server set up and DNS too.

Some places to start. Hope this helps.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    ricky0481ricky0481 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it seems to me that you have a dns problem. verify if you client dns is pointing to the domain contoller ip address.
  • Options
    ricky0481 wrote:
    it seems to me that you have a dns problem. verify if you client dns is pointing to the domain contoller ip address.

I kinda figured this may be the problem. My computers get their ip and DNS info automatically from the router all the computers are hooked up to, so it should be pointed to the DC, unless I'm missing something.
  • Options
    Still can't log in, and I cant figure out what is going on...
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try pointing your clients DNS address to the Domain Controller. Unless you already did that, I couldn't quite figure out if that's what you did in a previous post already or not.
  • Options
    TeKniques wrote:
    Try pointing your clients DNS address to the Domain Controller. Unless you already did that, I couldn't quite figure out if that's what you did in a previous post already or not.

I just changed the DNS on my client computer to point to the server, and I still could not log on.