Options

Word! I need help!

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
Okay, so I have this really old floppy...Windows can not read any data in it. I buy this program that claims to recover said data. It works, I guess. It gives 5 files. A couple of them are .Doc, so I click, and get asked to install some converter option, I install said option. I try to open file in question, and I get, "cannot convert password protected files". I know the password, I put it there back in 96 when I worte the text. I have tried the Word viewer from M$, and four other programs, but none can read, or they just show the encrypted file. I also have the same copy in .Xls format, but alas also encrypted. So, what I need is a program to either read, or convert so I can read. Any help anyone???
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    I fixed that error....I had to expand a few systems files............

Is it possible to decrypt Hex? I think it, ehh hell, I don't know.....This is getting aggravating, being so close.......
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You did not mention what viewer this was, sounds like and old program

Autoexec.NT and config.NT are special versions of autoexec.bat and config.sys that emulate what would have been used in real dos or windows 3.1. They are 16 bit files used when you explicitly run command.com from the run box (different from the XP command line which is CMD.EXE) or WOW (Windows On Windows). Open the run box from the start menu and start copies of command.com and cmd.exe and you will see the difference quickly looking at the copyright that comes up

You can open autoexec.nt in Notepad as see what is bogus in there, something or someone may have edited it in the past.

Alternately rename autoexec.nt to something else as just like in the old DOS world it won't care if it is not there.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Anyone know where I can get old programs?.....I'm looking for Word Perfect(I think that's the name) specifically....I'm NOT looking for anything pirated either....if I have to pay, I will.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Anyone know where I can get old programs?.....I'm looking for Word Perfect(I think that's the name) specifically....I'm NOT looking for anything pirated either....if I have to pay, I will.

Strange that you should put it that way. By old do you mean an older or discontinued version? WordPerfect is a current product and is aggressively sold against Microsoft Office and is found in most large stores. It is still extremely popular in the legal profession and government agencies . It is sold as Wordperfect Office, the current version is 12 and it comes in standard, small business, Pro, and student and teacher versions. It is often bundled with new systems. Coral is the owner and here is a web pointer

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Products/Display&pfid=1047024307359
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Wierd. I already tried a Corel Word version, but not that 181mb beast....So, now I just need to remember the password. I know the first 6 letters, but there 3 extra, that I don't remember, and I have tried almost every other I could think of. Almost, more thinking tomorrow.
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Is it possible to decrypt Hex? I think it, ehh hell, I don't know.....This is getting aggravating, being so close.......

Can you "see" what you need in the Hex format? If so, then you can just pull out what you need bit by bit. (No pun intended).
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    Solved. I had to pay $45 to unlock the damn password, but I got the file. Thanks all.