Options

CCIE Voice 2013: Whos in?

rchaserchase Member Posts: 126
So I've spent alot of time prowling CCIE Voice blogs, websites, forums, even met a guy on craigslist who has helped me with my questions about CCIE Voice.

Particularly, how to study: where to start etc

The purpose of this post is to discuss CCIE Voice studies. From what I've gathered, INE has the best video training and IPexpert has the best lab workbooks.

I'm planning on using this IPexpert 6month study plan as my rough study outline:
Creating a Study Plan for the CCIE Voice Lab

Where the plan says "subject" (3hrs) on each of the weekdays, I will be using INE training videos on the subjects. Then on the lab days I will use the IPexpert lab material.

I will be hitting this fulltime. 40-48+hrs/wk instead of the suggested 21hrs/week. I do plan on taking my first attempt in 6months (by August)

I keep hearing the lab will be changed soon and it will be announced at Cisco Live in June? I think the change gives a 6month grace period? So basically I'm trying to pass this before December 2013 otherwise equipment upgrades will be expensive!

I havent really decided on a reading list yet or how I will incorporate it into my study plan. From what I've gathered, working through the hands on is the key ...

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck man! I'm pretty sure there is a 6 month grace period to wrap up.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    depending on your skill level 6 months is pretty tight. I plan on passing the written in april. Then a early 2014 winter if its not changed. Since you have been drilling in knee deep you may be in a better spot than me as I haven't hit the books hard due to projects. One thing I will say get the IE before you end up in a Sr role. It makes getting the IE much harder as there is always something on your plate.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Thanks!

I realize its tight but I kinda feel like its CCIE V or bust. If they change the lab like everyones saying and the cutoff is December, I need to get my first attempt in there asap so that I still have time to prepare for a second or third before the cut! Plus with my CCNA and NP study time added in thats 1year and also working experience. But Its really not about number of years studied its number of hours anyway its all relative. Not having a Sr role or family obligations and budgeting financially to spend the majority of my time studying over the next year will make the difference I think.

But I still want to hear everyones input on study materials. Reading lists? Reading vs labbing? Other recommendations?
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly thou if they do change the lab all the knowledge you gain with this track will still be valid.. would just need to go over the gaps between the two which honestly I dont see it being that big of deal.
  • Options
    nelloconnellocon Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck dude I will be following with interest...
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are they planning on only changing the IE voice, or all the IE tracks?
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Why do people make such a big deal about exam revisions? They remove 1 or 2 things, and add 1 or 2 things. Most of the time they remove stuff you didn't want to study anyway and add something that's newly relevant. If you study for Version X and they change it to version X+1 you're 95% of the way there.
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its that fear of the unknown and your right.. a revision doesnt mean the knowledge you gained on version x isnt useful in the new version.. just means have to cover the new topics and push on! In fact if one thing you learn by going down the CCIE track is how to study.. the # after the pass is just the cherry on top..
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I slightly disagree with this for the voice track – The rumored rich video inclusion would require cutting edge equipment that would simply not be feasible for the home lab. With that being said, I doubt that they would go full boat… but they “could”.
    pert wrote: »
    Why do people make such a big deal about exam revisions? They remove 1 or 2 things, and add 1 or 2 things. Most of the time they remove stuff you didn't want to study anyway and add something that's newly relevant. If you study for Version X and they change it to version X+1 you're 95% of the way there.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    I dont think theyre going to bring Video into the equation, Cisco just announced a new video track a few weeks ago. It only has CCNA so far but prbbly IE by the end of the year.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna_video

That said, the upgrade cost would be enormous, mostly in licensing, but also hardware. ISR2's and PVDM3s baby

This is Voice, this aint no CCIE R/S GNS 3 lab lol

I went to a CCIE group the other day and theres a voice guy there thats attempted once and planning his second attempt for next month. He told me I really need to study hard and try to take the lab by May, because U.S. Cisco Live in June is supposed to announce the lab changes. At that point, anyone who was considering taking the lab will book, and seats will fill up
  • Options
    flashdumperflashdumper Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I'd like to Get started with you. Wanna pass Voice track by July.
    How can I contact you?
    I've R&S and SP tracks on my poket.
  • Options
    @flash

Nice ru double CCIE alrdy? I'm building my CCIE Voice study connections on twitter - @VoIPChase, and I frequent these forums.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Congrats on getting CCNP Voice Rchase and good luck for the future. Will you be doing a blog covering your experiences in attaining the CCIE?
  • Options
    Thank you. Prbbly no blog for me thats time consuming. I post periodically tho