Options

70-642, 70-640 and 70-646

PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
I intend to try and pass all 3 before they expire in July. I have been studying 642 for the past 4 weeks and have most of my notes written up. I intend to finish the notes by the end of Jan and then lab until the end of Feb.

Hopefully i pass then after that i want to pass 640 by the end of May. My worry is though that 640 being such a huge topic will take more than 3 months to pass as im starting from scratch with it. If i do manage to pass it then i hope to get 646 by end of July.

A hard few months ahead!

My question is - as the MCITP is due to retire at the end of July does it loose any 'value' if someone was to pass all 3 exams after July? If not then maybe i could extend my time in which i could pass all 3 exams.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They dont expire, just the name changes. its changing from MCITP:SA to MCSA 2008, you can still take all 3 after july.
  • Options
    cruwl wrote: »
    They dont expire, just the name changes. its changing from MCITP:SA to MCSA 2008, you can still take all 3 after july.

Great! Thanks for the info. No pressure then to get all 3 by July
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Actually, if you pass all three exams before July 31st of this year, you get both the MCITP: Server Administrator AND the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 titles. Your transcripts will show both credentials, and you can rightfully put both on your resume. (Whether or not you want to, that's a whole different story.)

If you finish after July 31st, you will receive the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 title only.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What Slowhand said.

To answer the value question, I don't think so. You are still certified on Server 2008 which is what companies are using right now. Additionally, I doubt companies are even aware of the expiring/name change.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Great advice as usual
  • Options
    icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

A question for me is...

I want to start from 0 a MIcrosfot Server certification, i have not got so much experience, so...

Waht do you recomend me to start? Whis is easier for me?

MCSA 2012 or MCTIP 2008

I am very worried about Microsoft could retire the 2008 exams in July, are you sure they are not going to expire?

Thank you
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As stated earlier in this thread 640, 642, and 646 are not being retired. The only thing that is changing is the title you currently get when you pass all 3 exams. Currently if you pass all 3 exams you get the title of MCITP: Systems Administrator, AND MCSA: 2008. After July, you will only get the MCSA 2008 title.

Make sense?

MCITP: Server Administrator 2008Validates your ability to handle the day-to-day management of an installation using the Windows Server 2008 platform.
    This certification will be retired on July 31, 2013. The MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification and corresponding exams will remain in market.
  • Options
    icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    As stated earlier in this thread 640, 642, and 646 are not being retired. The only thing that is changing is the title you currently get when you pass all 3 exams. Currently if you pass all 3 exams you get the title of MCITP: Systems Administrator, AND MCSA: 2008. After July, you will only get the MCSA 2008 title.

Make sense?

MCITP: Server Administrator 2008Validates your ability to handle the day-to-day management of an installation using the Windows Server 2008 platform.
    This certification will be retired on July 31, 2013. The MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification and corresponding exams will remain in market.

Thank you for your explanation, so... what do you think about the second part of my question?

MCSA 2012 or MCTIP 2008

Thank you again
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    If you have zero IT experience, I would suggest starting out with client exams such as A+ and Windows 7. If you are already in an IT role just looking to move up, 2008. Most companies won't be moving to 2012 anytime soon, and you can always do an upgrade to 2012. Plus, having both sets of credentials will look better in the end.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    mguilmotmguilmot Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You sure you get both certs on your transcript ?
    I did all 3 exams yesterday morning (yes, I am crazy), MCSA is on my transcript today, but MCITP is not.
    Might be a delay, I don't know. :)
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mguilmot wrote: »
    I did all 3 exams yesterday morning (yes, I am crazy), MCSA is on my transcript today, but MCITP is not.

Extremely impressive, I'm not sure I would have the endurance to take all three in one day, let alone pass them. Sounds like you work a very diverse job or have a great lab setup!

Speaking of lab I think icadem should set up a VMware player or Virtual Box lab with the evaluation of 2008 R2 and get some experience there. Play with the technology, look at the objectives of the tests, and install all those roles. Technet is good (check the stickies for easy to click links). You may even be able to youtube and find free videos with people configuring and installing the roles and teaching the concepts. You don't need to buy stuff or spend a fortune if you're willing to work for the cert.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    mguilmotmguilmot Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can tell you it's tough, all 3 in one day. I am still exhausted mentally today. Being concentrated for all three exams seems to drain your energy. icon_smile.gif
    And about the 2 certifications, I got confirmation by Microsoft today via mail, that you get both MCITP & MCSA when you pass 640,642,646. My MCITP should be on my transcript within 72 hours after taking the exam. So about 48hours at the most.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icadem wrote: »
    Hi

A question for me is...

I want to start from 0 a MIcrosfot Server certification, i have not got so much experience, so...

MCSA 2012 or MCTIP 2008

Thank you

I recommend 2008. Very few companies are moving to 2012, and most will be using 2008 for many years. In our data center, we have 170+ Microsoft servers. About half of them are 2003 and the other half 2008. We have no intention of upgrading to 2012 for the next few years.

Good luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    thenoble06thenoble06 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mguilmot wrote: »

You did all three exams in one day? Just thinking about that is making me want to lie down. Major kudos!!

Passed some exams. Failed others!
  • Options
    ExtremeITExtremeIT Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yesterday I took the 70-646 exam and failed with a score of 432. Needless to say I am very unhappy but still determined to pass the 640, 642, 646. I did read a few forums and they stated that the order should be 640, 642 then the 646. Is this correct?
    I have my MCSA: 2003 and looking to update to 2008.
    I was studying with the MS press book for 70-646 and using transcender practice exams. If I do switch my focus to the 640 exam. What are some good study materials to use so I can pass this exam?
    I currently have the sybex 70-640 exam book.
  • Options
    LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What happens if you pass the MCITP:EA before July 31st?
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ExtremeIT wrote: »
    Yesterday I took the 70-646 exam and failed with a score of 432. Needless to say I am very unhappy but still determined to pass the 640, 642, 646. I did read a few forums and they stated that the order should be 640, 642 then the 646. Is this correct?
    I have my MCSA: 2003 and looking to update to 2008.
    I was studying with the MS press book for 70-646 and using transcender practice exams. If I do switch my focus to the 640 exam. What are some good study materials to use so I can pass this exam?
    I currently have the sybex 70-640 exam book.

Sorry about the fail. The 646 incorporates material from both the 640 and 642, so I would start with one of those first. In my opinion, after failing the 646 I would start with the 642 exam. The 640 is a tough exam because it covers so much material, and it covers enterprise-level material that many people have no experience in. The 642 exam covers Microsoft networking so it might be an easier exam.

To study, I would recommend the Microsoft Self-Paced Study Kit for for whichever exam you plan on taking. I used it for the 640 exam and it did a great job at laying the foundation. I am also using it for the 642 exam now. Just keep in mind that there is not a single book that will completely prepare you for any of the exams. Also, make sure you are using a book for Server 2008 R2, not just Server 2008.

I also recommend Technet to fill in the gaps, Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed, CBT nuggets if you can afford them, and Transcender for practice exams. And most important of all, make sure you lab, lab, lab. In past MS certifications, it was more memorization. Today's exams are more scenario based, which means you need to understand the concepts and how to perform them.

If you choose the 640, I have put up some study guides on this forum. They helped me and have been told they have helped others. I am currently studying the 642, so I haven't added any study guides for it yet; however I will up uploading my first one on IP addresses in the next day or so.

Good luck with your exams!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lampton wrote: »
    What happens if you pass the MCITP:EA before July 31st?

I actually chatted with MS learning about this. If you get the MCITP:EA before July 31st you also get the MCSA:2008.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    I actually chatted with MS learning about this. If you get the MCITP:EA before July 31st you also get the MCSA:2008.

Nice, thank you for the info.
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.