Options

Dell's Certification

ruinednationruinednation Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm just curious about what value would Dell's DCSE cert bring to the table. I'm already A+, Network+, MCP (going for MCSA probably early 2006) certified with CCNA and Sercurity+ exams coming up in the next couple of weeks.

I currently work for a univeristy and I've found my niche in this line of work and of course most univeristies have contracts with Dell. So I can't help thinking that it could only help but I'm not sure it's worth the cost (airfare + exam) - I used to the live in Austin so no hotel is needed.

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I'm just curious about what value would Dell's DCSE cert bring to the table. I'm already A+, Network+, MCP (going for MCSA probably early 2006) certified with CCNA and Sercurity+ exams coming up in the next couple of weeks.

I currently work for a univeristy and I've found my niche in this line of work and of course most univeristies have contracts with Dell. So I can't help thinking that it could only help but I'm not sure it's worth the cost (airfare + exam) - I used to the live in Austin so no hotel is needed.

In my opinion, I would say it is worthless & a waste of time. Just like any cert, it CAN"T hurt you. I would not fly or take a class or pay money for it, thats just foolish.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Eventhough some employers require Dell's certs, IMO its ridiculous since all boxes uses mostly m$ OS, the only difference in Dell's boxes is the way you troubleshoot their hardware in which any hardware tech can do. So it would be useless to do a Dell cert in order to just get a job that requires it. Go for your mcse better.

2 pesos
    What next?
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    DCSE is a pretty useless cert, I know because I hold it. If you work for a compay that is a Dell House, having your DCSE can be great, gets you access to higher levels of support. DCSE covers more than just the break/fix aspect, dives into design considerations and so forth, largely concentrating on server and network aspects and deploying full networks and all attached systems using dell gear.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was going to say, Dell certs are not an a+, you have to know all about their enterprise server solutions, their SANs, etc. You really gotta know about enterprise networks....
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller