Options

CCNA Advise for test day ( JAN 26th 2013 )

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have list I plan to write out for my CCNA test and I was wondering if this is good or are there suggestions for things I should add ?

128, 64, 32, 16 8, 4 (-2 for available hosts)
2, 4 8 16 32 64 total subnets

Powers of 2 up to 16,384

Common port numbers

Administrative Distances.

Please advise
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    Sunglass99Sunglass99 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is interesting for me too !!
    I will take my exam on Friday and need any support i can get !!
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wrote down this table right at the start of ICND1 and ICND2. Super helpful.

Ty0qPBt.png

It should be obvious that M is mask, N is # networks, H is # hosts.

PDNTSPA

I think writing down much more than that is a bit of a waste, but I'm the type who only jots down stuff I'm sure I'll use repeatedly,
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you really need to solve the problems in 15 seconds or is that hyperbole? I'd like to think I'll have enough time to work out the problems like any other test. Good luck OP I know how nervous we get.
  • Options
    It's hyperbolic to say you absolutely have to be able to subnet in 15 seconds or less or you're going to run out of time and fail the test, but at the same time, it really is a realistic goal to shoot for. Think of subnetting on a Cisco test like multiplication on an algebra test. You shouldn't be getting tripped up on it and should be able to multiply several sets of numbers quickly and correctly. Likewise you should be able to evaluate several sets of IP addresses and masks quickly.

This is a made-up example of a question I'd say you should easily be able to solve in less than a minute. This particular question is open ended, but if I remember right Cisco will always tell you how many answers they're looking for on multiple choice questions (e.g., Choose 2 answers).
    Bob wants to address his file server so that users can connect to their file shares using the server's private IP address. Which of the following IP addresses could he use?

172.15.254.221 / 27
    172.16.254.222 / 27
    172.15.254.232 / 25
    172.15.254.233 / 26
    172.16.254.239 / 28
    172.16.254.240 / 28
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    draught wrote: »
    Do you really need to solve the problems in 15 seconds or is that hyperbole? I'd like to think I'll have enough time to work out the problems like any other test. Good luck OP I know how nervous we get.

Exaggeration. I spent time double checking my subnet ?s and sims and I finished the test in under an hour.
  • Options
    I cannot solve subnet problems in 15 sec but it does not take me 10 minutes either. I have studied really hard and hopfully I pass tomorrow.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    I falied my CCNA exam over the weekend. Time Managment was a factor. I need to be faster at answering questions correctly. I was able to finnish the exam but I was guessing on the last few which hurt. I am depressed or anyting. I have a print out of what I need to work on and I will pass this test the 2nd time around.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    Hey man, sorry to hear about your missed attempt. I missed ICND1 my first time around, a little over a year ago. I personally don't like referring to it as a failure since that implies you don't have another chance :D

Just out of curiosity, did you take ICND1/ICND2, or the composite exam? Do you mind sharing your score/scoring breakdown?

Best of luck on the retake. I find it best after a missed attempt to really hit the problem areas hard and re-schedule the test as soon as possible. Your previous attempt will be fresh in your mind so even though you won't get the same questions, you'll have a distinct advantage in that you'll at least know what types of questions to expect.
  • Options
    Hey man, sorry to hear about your missed attempt. I missed ICND1 my first time around, a little over a year ago. I personally don't like referring to it as a failure since that implies you don't have another chance :D

Just out of curiosity, did you take ICND1/ICND2, or the comprehensive exam? Do you mind sharing your score/scoring breakdown?

Best of luck on the retake. I find it best after a missed attempt to really hit the problem areas hard and re-schedule the test as soon as possible. Your previous attempt will be fresh in your mind so even though you won't get the same questions, you'll have a distinct advantage in that you'll at least know what types of questions to expect.

Boredgamelad I took the The 640-802 Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) composite exam.
    My Study Materials are as follows:
    Cisco Network Academy at local college
    CCNA Wendell Odem Offical Cert Library ( This has 3rd Edition ICND 1 and ICND 2 books)
    CCENT ICND 1 book by Todd Lammle
    CCNA CBT Nugget videos
    Kindle Fire Cisco press 31 Days before your CCNA exam.
    Dan's Courses on You Tube

My test score was a 590 or 59%. The only section I got 100% on was the Wan Section.
    I plan to re-read and re-watch everything then take the test again in March.
    I never have been a good test taker. But I know I can do this. I'll get my CCNA at some point.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That really sucks. The thought of taking these exams has me very nervous and the CCNA has a rep for being very hard. What was the hardest topic of the test for you? I plan to be prepared as possible for subnetting, still too slow.

Wait, why did you take the composite exam instead of taking the exam in two parts? If I were you I'd study some more and then go the two part test route. I have no doubt you'll pass the ICND1 and then 2. icon_thumright.gif You mentioned time management well the composite exam is like putting the two tests together at once and then giving you the same amount of time for what should be two tests.
  • Options
    The Hardest topic of the test was the Subnetting and Access lists. I can do subnetting, I just cannot do it as fast as some other people. ACLs or Access Lists are proving difficult for me. I always seem to configure incorrectly.

I think I am going to take the composite Exam ( 1 test ) again vs taking ICND1 and then ICND2 exam.
    I just have to keep my nose to the grind stone and I will pass.

On a personal note: For the last 3 monthes I have cut back my World of Warcraft,Guild Wars 2 to down to one night a week and I have had Assassin's Creed 3 still the box. I love my gaming but I want my CCNA more.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im about to start the CCNA after Feb 15th after I take the Network+ exam. I have a degree in IT but I still felt I needed proper grounding in the subject which is why I took Network+. I have read 4 chapters of CCNA from Lammle's book and its very specific and a lot to learn. But as you say, the more you study the better you will become! You will pass! I am aiming to pass the CCNA by April/May if all goes well with the Network+ exam.

I would study every available night you have and go the 2 test route.
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    work hard to archive what you planned to have. god will help you.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fadhil wrote: »
    work hard to archive what you planned to have. god will help you.

If by God you mean the likes of Chris bryant, Rene Molenaar or Jeremy Cioara...then yes you're totally right!
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.