Options

Purchase advice on 25 laptops

nb-nb- Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

We've looking to buy 25 laptops for general office work. (MS Office, Youtube, Mails etc.) aswell as running VDI.

We've been offered two products which is completely identical apart from the processor.

Both products has the following specs:

4 GB 1600 MHz Ram
320 GB Harddrive
Intel HD 4000 Graphics

Product 1 has an Intel core i5-3320M (2.6 GHz, 3MB Cache)
and product 2 has an Intel core i3-3110M (2.4 GHz, 3MB Cache)

Which one do we buy? I'm asking cause im not really sure whether i3 is enough processor power, specially considering the fact that we are running Citrix VDI's. What about Ram aswell? is 4 GB enough or shall we ask for 6 GB?

Comments

• Options
    mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would look at the price difference between the i5 and i3, if there is not much then I would definitely go for the i5 but if the difference is huge then I would go for the i3 because the majority of work is actually going to be done on the VDI rather than the actual machines.

As for MSOffice, youtube emails you should be fine with the i3 and I dont see it not being able to do the work efficiently. I have an i3 that I use for support work with 2 extra monitors connected to it running all sorts and it does not bother me with the speed and I think it handles everything I throw at it very well.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I agree with mishy. If not a big price difference, go with the i5. As for ram, if you feel you need more, its usually cheaper to buy the ram and install yourself then through the oem/vendor.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Amen to installing the ram yourself. Recent purchase of 50 laptops - 4gb extra ram - 29.99, install 49.99 extra EACH. Umm, no thanks, just ship it here. Less than 2 mins each to slide the back cover off and plug a chip in.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    i5 has all the nice V-features, so go with that. Definitely max out the RAM yourself with 16GB kits. You can easily do that for $100 or a little more per laptop, especially if you buy in bulk.