Options

Books for MPLS & BGP

LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, all, I've been working for a Managed Voice & Network Provider for a few months. I'm Tier 1 in the NOC. And, we primarily use BGP & MPLS. I don't know too much about this but I'm trying to learn so I can move up. I'm working on my ICND2 at the moment.

But, are there any recommended books or anything specific to MPLS & BGP.

Thanks!
Working On: eCPPT

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Surprisingly, the official CCNP Route certification book explains BGP and a little of MPLS pretty good.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want to get into some detail beyond the CCNP stuff check out Internet Routing Architectures and MPLS Fundamentals.

Not Cisco centric, but the JNCIA/S-M study guides from sybex are free and still very useful.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    If you want to get into some detail beyond the CCNP stuff check out Internet Routing Architectures and MPLS Fundamentals.

2 great books right there. If you only deal with MPLS from the enterprise perspective and not the service provider perspective (LDP/labels/etc) then MPLS fundamentals might go a little too in depth but the knowledge will be worth while so you have that deeper understanding instead of just referring to the MPLS network as a 'magical cloud'

Depending on the size of the BGP networks, Routing TCP/IP Vol II and BGP Design & Implementation might be worth while but they are not really beginner books for BGP. I'd start with Internet Routing Architectures like Networker mentioned.

I haven't read the JNCIA/A-M study guide so I can't speak for that one. I think I'll give it a read this weekend though.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    jdancer wrote: »
    Surprisingly, the official CCNP Route certification book explains BGP and a little of MPLS pretty good.

Jdancer,

I'll certainly take a look at the CCNP route book then! Thanks!

My goal is to get familiar with what my company does so I can be good at it.
  • Options

Not Cisco centric, but the JNCIA/S-M study guides from sybex are free and still very useful.

Gotcha. Yeah, we mainly use Cisco Gear(Gold Partner), but yeah I'll check out the Internet Routing Architectures and MPLS Fundamentals book.

Appreciate the help!
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    2 great books right there. If you only deal with MPLS from the enterprise perspective and not the service provider perspective (LDP/labels/etc) then MPLS fundamentals might go a little too in depth but the knowledge will be worth while so you have that deeper understanding instead of just referring to the MPLS network as a 'magical cloud'

Depending on the size of the BGP networks, Routing TCP/IP Vol II and BGP Design & Implementation might be worth while but they are not really beginner books for BGP. I'd start with Internet Routing Architectures like Networker mentioned.

I haven't read the JNCIA/A-M study guide so I can't speak for that one. I think I'll give it a read this weekend though.

Yeah, I'm not really sure, we basically manage a lot of companies. But, the MPLS & BGP is talked about a ton between tier 2 & 3. I'm eager to learn this stuff!

I'll check it out, Steve086, appreciate the help!
  • Options
    So, just to make sure I'm getting the right books:

Are these two books the correct ones? Which one would you advise to read first?

MPLS Fundamentals

Internet Routing Architectures, 2nd Edition

Thanks!
  • Options
    Yep those are the ones.
  • Options
    Yep those are the ones.

Thanks, Networker050184,

Is there any reason why I should read one or the other first?
  • Options
    I'd definitely get at least the basics of BGP down before moving on to MPLS. You need to understand BGP to understand things like L3VPNs.
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mpls fundamentals is outdated
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CCNP ROUTE doesn't cover MPLS VPNs, only BGP.

The old version of the CCNP which had the ISCW exam covered some basic theory on MPLS VPNs but if you wanted to get started on it there is some information in the CCDP ARCH book around MPLS in the WAN technologies section and also in the CCIE Routing & Switching Certification Guide.

I'd recommend the CCIE book as that also covers BGP as well as MPLS and will cover most other topics.

CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide, 4th Edition

I bought the following book for CCNP years ago which has a section summarising MPLS and you should be able to get it cheap now it's "outdated" but all of the concepts are still used.

ISBN 1587202360

Also look for the ISCW book and if you can get it on the cheap then I'd pick that up.

The alternative is to pursue the CCIP / CCNP Service Provider!
  • Options
    DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    mpls fundamentals is outdated

So what stuff are missing from the MPLS fundamentals?? I was thinking of buying this.
  • Options
    Both books are older, but still very useful. Another MPLS book people suggest is MPLS and VPN Architectures, but I belive that one is even older than MPLS Fundementals if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    It's older but still a great book.

MPLS and VPN Architectures Vol I was recently reprinted in softback, so it looks like Cisco press is going to be keeping it around for a while.

I am kind of upset I missed out buying it in Hardback icon_sad.gif but I got the eBook so....

I'll venture to guess MPLS and VPN Architectures Vol II will soon be converted to softback as well in the future
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    I recommend "MPLS-Enabled Applications" book.
    Check on Amazon.
  • Options
    That book is older than MPLS Fundementals as well I believe.
  • Options
    Release date: January 5, 2011. Sorry for late reply :)