Options

Failed ICND2 today

nvrdunnnvrdunn Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took the ICND2 test today and failed. Had a serious time management problem and had to run through the last part of the test. Positive side is I know what I’m weak on and what to work on. Will target a retake next week so everything is still fresh. FORWARD!!

Comments

• Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm running through cbt nuggets, then I'll read odom's icnd 2 and use packet tracer along the way and rewatch the cbts, this is my prep for the icnd 2. What was your prep?
  • Options
    nvrdunnnvrdunn Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Basically the same, cbt nuggets, odom's book but I built out my own lab. I'm slow at subnetting which cost me to much time early on, really need to work on that.
  • Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah, I see. Better luck next time!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck on the next one!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kweevusskweevuss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get back in it soon! Subnetting was a hard topic for me for a while, just always remember taking 256-subnet mask. I eventually burned the CIDR cart into my head
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry nvrdunn, I am sure you will pass ICND 2 here soon. I sit for my CCNA exam tomorrow and I have been doing the same things in my prep for the exam that you and xza are doing.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    kweevuss wrote: »
    Get back in it soon! Subnetting was a hard topic for me for a while, just always remember taking 256-subnet mask. I eventually burned the CIDR cart into my head

Here is how I do it but yes memorization through repetition and experience makes it automatic.

i.e. 10.0.3.63/28

/28 in binary is 11111111.11111111.11111111.11110000 which represents 255.255.255.240

"interesting octet being the 4th one so... 256 - 240 = 16, ok that's our increment

Now,

0 0 1 1 1 1 1 = "interesting" octet in binary
    1 1 1 1 0 0 0 = interesting subnet mask in binary (240)

If 1's match, drop a one down, otherwise leave it as 0

0 0 1 1 0 0 0 = 48 so that's the network 10.0.3.63 sits on

10.0.3.48 - 10.0.3.63
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    JaydenMoonJaydenMoon Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep your head up Nvrdunn - you will get it the next time!!!! :)
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Just keep chugging. I nearly ran out of time when I took ICND2 and barely passed. In retrospect, had I failed, it would have made me a stronger CCNA at the time. You'll get it!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi