Options

26 yr old entering Networking field. Please help!!

Hishy86Hishy86 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. First up, let me congratulate everyone on this forum for this splendid website.

A little background about myself. I am an RF/Microwave Engineer with 2 yrs of experience. Having met with a dead-end job profile/opportunity, I have been unemployed for the last 9 months.

I have now made the brave decision to change my stream and therefore require your advice.

My questions are :
1)What certifications to go for initially?
2)I am about to join a private institute with a preconceive thought of doing a CCNA + RHCSA. Is it the right move for employability?
3)Would you guys recommend adding MCSE along with CCNA or RHCSA with CCNA?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Looking forward for some replies.

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

The first network certification for most people is probably Network+ (often referenced as N+) by CompTIA. It's a basic networking certification that is considered easy to medium in difficulty. The second step is then CCNA which is considered to be rather difficult. If you are unsure I would recommend starting with N+. It can give you a "quick win" and set you up for a streak ;)

Adding an Operating System certification to your resume is definitely a good idea. I would recommend to focus on either Linux (RHCSA / LPIC) or Microsoft so that you have a clear profile with a definite focus. If you are just getting started with Linux I would suggest looking into LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 before going for RHCSA. RHCSA requires experience and is very hands on. LPIC-1 and 2 are just multiple-choice and therefore easier. If you can pass LPIC-2 and have about two years of experience with running Linux as a server you should take on RHCSA.

Good luck on your journey.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Hey man, welcome to TE

First of all, RF/Microwave Engineer? You can do some serious Network Engineering with a background like that.
    Or are you interested into the more Admin kind of way?

I would suggest if your knowledge in networks is NONE then get Network+
    If you have some knowledge in networks, lets say how LAN works, whats ethernet, whats an IP address, whats a subnet (just what is, not really how it works), how to connect printers to a network, basic troubleshooting stuff like ping, traceroute, netstat, Id say stay away from Network+ and jump to CCNA.

MCSA complements CCNA very well, but that is more like a situational/personal decision. Like depends on the job you want and such.

CCNA --->Security+ ---->CCNA Flavors, specially voice
    at this point you can consider becoming a network engineer for a telecom or something, work with waves, signaling and such
    or continue your path to systems/networks

IEEE has its own certification for wireless signaling/networking = Welcome to IEEE WCET - IEEE Wireless Communication Engineering Technologies Certification
    meh
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A company that thinks getting CCNA + RHCSA is a good idea sounds like a good company to me. Networking and Linux are very complementary skills (as is CCNA + MCITP). Are they going to help you with training? You will absolutely be employable with those skills.

Network+ is a waste of time and $130 IMO, especially now that Cisco has the CCENT available. You can either go the Cisco route and learn network theory and be able to log into a router/switch and have some idea of what's going on, or you can go the Network+ and learn theory and... well learn theory.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    I agree with Zartanasaurus, skip the Network+ and dive into CCENT/CCNA. Since you are in a current RF/Microwave engineering role, you should be able to soak up the CCNA. Going RHSCA or MCITP will not hurt ether way, both will go well with the Cisco certs. You just need to decide which you will want to work with.

Also as so others have stated, after the CCNA you can do some of the specialties, security,voice,wireless, data center.
  • Options
    Aw thanks you guys for welcoming me. That is very kind of you.

Thanks lordy, kurosaki00, Zartanasaurus and chaser7783 for all the valuable insights. It really meant alot.

Kurosaki00, mate you have made a brilliant point regarding network engineer role. I would like to dash into this role but I don't know where to begin with.

I gather by all the responses from you kind gentlemen that I should most certainly go for CCNA + either linux RHSCA or MCITP.

I do somehow have a little bit of knowledge about networking since we had covered a couple of modules at my university. So I can happily say that it isn't alien to me.

So guys if I were to become a network engineer with my sort of RF/Microwave background, should I most def go for the CCNA (+RHSCA/MCITP) way?

Thanks so much again you guys.

Looking forward to some more valuable inputs :)
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190

Network+ is a waste of time and $130 IMO, especially now that Cisco has the CCENT available. You can either go the Cisco route and learn network theory and be able to log into a router/switch and have some idea of what's going on, or you can go the Network+ and learn theory and... well learn theory.

On a casual side note, if you do find yourself doing government work or government contracting, the network+ does meet the 8570 baseline certification requirement for IAT Level I positions.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you're unfamiliar with *nix or the extent is general home use, I would get the CompTIA Linux+ first. The RHCSA would be extremely difficult as a first Linux cert.

Plus when you get the Linux+ you also get the LPIC-1, Novell CLA and Novell DCTS...4 for 1 icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    lsud00d wrote: »
    If you're unfamiliar with *nix or the extent is general home use, I would get the CompTIA Linux+ first. The RHCSA would be extremely difficult as a first Linux cert.

Plus when you get the Linux+ you also get the LPIC-1, Novell CLA and Novell DCTS...4 for 1 icon_cheers.gif
    I doubt those certs hold much weight though. It'll just make your resume look "beefier"
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    I doubt those certs hold much weight though. It'll just make your resume look "beefier"

TBH I list 3/4 on my resume because they get HR attention and I can back them up since I come from a Novell shop...the DCTS is the fluffer in my situation
  • Options
    MirakzulMirakzul Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I'm also new and am in a very similar position to Hishy86, hence I'm replying here rather than starting my own thread. I'm an electrical engineer with 3 years experience working in building services (I think it is called architectural engineering in the USA). I'm looking at possibly moving into IT in the medium term as the construction industry is slowing down.

Currently I'm studying a Master of Information Technology part time, but I'm still to decide on a major; Networking or Software Development. I have decided to start with the CompTIA A+ certification and have purchased Mike Meyers' book based off reading recommendations while lurking the forums, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

From this point I'm not sure which path I should take in terms of certification in order to increase my employability as I'm still a couple of years away from finishing my postgraduate studies. Would you recommend going for Security+ before finishing my course?

Cheers
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello! I work for a cellular telecommunications service provider as a data network engineer. I made my way up to this position by working in the NOC which monitored voice/data systems. I work with the field organization all the time involving cellular technicians, network field engineers, system performance engineers, microwave engineers, etc. I work with various teams on the Ethernet backhaul (MW or fiber) and the cellsite routers and aggregate routers.

My advice: for telecom you want a Cisco certification, it would pair well with your background. Pursue the CCENT and CCNA. UNIX/ LINUX/ Solaris are greatly used on all systems within telecommunications. I think it is a great idea to get a mix of Cisco and Unix. In the end, the Cisco cert will catch MANY more eyes than a Unix cert unless the unix cert is very high level, though knowing the unix is needed. In the end, you gotta pursue the cert that will be the most useful to getting a job and a good salary. Pursue the Cisco certs first.

Check out the linux deals as well. If you get a Comptia Linux+ you also get the LPIC 1 and the Novel linux cert for free with no additional test taking. Three certs for one test!

What would you like to do on a daily basis in the end?
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Hello! I work for a cellular telecommunications service provider as a data network engineer. I made my way up to this position by working in the NOC which monitored voice/data systems. I work with the field organization all the time involving cellular technicians, network field engineers, system performance engineers, microwave engineers, etc. I work with various teams on the Ethernet backhaul (MW or fiber) and the cellsite routers and aggregate routers.

My advice: for telecom you want a Cisco certification, it would pair well with your background. Pursue the CCENT and CCNA. UNIX/ LINUX/ Solaris are greatly used on all systems within telecommunications. I think it is a great idea to get a mix of Cisco and Unix. In the end, the Cisco cert will catch MANY more eyes than a Unix cert unless the unix cert is very high level, though knowing the unix is needed. In the end, you gotta pursue the cert that will be the most useful to getting a job and a good salary. Pursue the Cisco certs first.

Check out the linux deals as well. If you get a Comptia Linux+ you also get the LPIC 1 and the Novel linux cert for free with no additional test taking. Three certs for one test!

What would you like to do on a daily basis in the end?

Hello filkenjitsu,

Thank you very much for taking the time and giving in your insight.

It is so amazing to have an advice from someone like you who has gone through from working with almost every section of the IT ladder. I completely understand your point.

As you asked, I would love to work towards the microwave/RF engineering path within the IT sector. That is what I have a strong feeling and passion for. Would you reckon doing a CCNA along with Linux+ would be a better step towards it?

Thanks again mate. I really appreciate all the time you have put in the reply.

Looking forward to your reply.
  • Options
    If you want to work with backhaul technologies, I would get the IEEE Wireless Engineer certification. Small cells and heterogeneous networks are the next big thing and they will need MW backhaul technologies for enablement. I recommend CCENT --> CCNA --> IEEE WCET (Wireless Communications Engineering technology Certification) --> CCNP. If you want to certify your Unix/Linux knowledge, Linux+ (which gives you Linux+, LPIC 1, Novel Certified System Administrator)
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    If you want to work with backhaul technologies, I would get the IEEE Wireless Engineer certification. Small cells and heterogeneous networks are the next big thing and they will need MW backhaul technologies for enablement. I recommend CCENT --> CCNA --> IEEE WCET (Wireless Communications Engineering technology Certification) --> CCNP. If you want to certify your Unix/Linux knowledge, Linux+ (which gives you Linux+, LPIC 1, Novel Certified System Administrator)

Any reason you chose the IEEE:WCET over the CCNA/P:Wireless aside from vendor neutrality?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    The CCNA wireless is just about enterprise wireless, it has nothing to do with microwave or cellular networks. The IEEE certification is for the telecommunications industry where the CCNA is concerned with WiFi.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options

Thanks again filkenjitsu for being generous with the explanation.

So, I have finally settled down with the CCNA R&S. I have just been enrolled with a local institute which would provide me the N+ brush up for about a week and then carry on to the CCNA path. I would be doing 60 hrs classes in a month's time and then attempt my test.

However, I am totally lost when it comes to choosing between Linux + or MCITP. The more I read about them two the more confused I get.

I'm currently in India and I can hardly see any beginner level linux jobs being posted.

I am in a bit of a pickle really.

What would you reckon considering the future of Linux vs M$? What should I choose? Linux+ or MCITP?

Many thanks again mate!!
  • Options
    In the telecommunications industry, Linux/Unix is the standard for all hardware vendors and servers.

If you would like to work as a NOC Technician, NOC Engineer, or Network Engineer, the Linux/Unix is the way to go.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    Linux will always compliment and further Windows skills, however I can't say the other way around.
  • Options
    In the telecommunications industry, Linux/Unix is the standard for all hardware vendors and servers.

If you would like to work as a NOC Technician, NOC Engineer, or Network Engineer, the Linux/Unix is the way to go.

Thanks again filkenjitsu

So as it goes, I will be starting my Linux+ classes from next week. Will keep you posted when I take them tests and hopefuly receive CCNA & Linux+ certificates.

Thanks much again lads!!
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Linux will always compliment and further Windows skills, however I can't say the other way around.

Thanks lsud00d. Linux+ is what I have decided to go for. Much appreciated!!
  • Options
    Remember, when you get your Linux+ you also get the following certifications at no cost and no additional tests:

CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI Certification

[h=1]LPIC-1[/h]
    [h=2]Junior Level Linux Certification[/h]The first IT certification program to be professionally accredited by National Commission For Certifying Agencies NCCA
    • Status: First published January 11, 2000; latest revision published April 2009
    • Prerequisites: None
    • Requirements: Passing Exams 101 and 102
    • Latest Updates Objectives are up to date with the latest changes
    [h=2]Overview of Tasks[/h]To pass Level 1, someone should be able to:
    1. Work at the Linux command line
    2. Perform easy maintenance tasks: help users, add users to a larger system, backup and restore, shutdown and reboot
    3. Install and configure a workstation (including X) and connect it to a LAN, or a standalone PC to the Internet.
    [h=2]Exam 101[/h]This is a required exam for LPIC-1. It covers basic skills for the Linux professional that are common to major distributions of Linux.[h=2]Exam 102[/h]This is a required exam for LPIC-1. It covers basic skills for the Linux professional that are common to major distributions of Linux.

[h=1]Novell Certified Linux Administrator[/h] on-demand_banner_156x300.jpg

[h=3]Follow Novell Training[/h]icon_communities_facebook.png icon_communities_twitter.png icon_communities_linkedin.png
    CLA-home.jpg [h=4]CLA Training[/h]Novell, Linux Professional Institute and CompTIA have teamed up to offer you the chance to earn three Linux certifications. The Novell Certified Linux Administrator, the Linux Professional Institute LPIC-1 and CompTIA Linux Powered by LPI.
    Read the CompTIA press release and the Linux Professional Institute press release to learn more about their certifications.
    Select one of the tabs below to learn more about the CLA certification program.
    Dual LPI & CLA Certification
    Learning Paths
    Study Options
    Test Objectives
    Test Registration

[h=3]Dual LPI & CLA Certification[/h][h=4]Promotion to Dual LPI & CLA Certification[/h]On February 9th, 2010 Novell and the Linux Professional Institute announced an international partnership to standardize their entry-level Linux certification programs on LPIC-1. Under the terms of the agreement, all qualified LPIC-1 holders will have the opportunity to apply for Novell CLA certification without additional exams or fees.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • Options
    bela456bela456 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A company that thinks getting CCNA + RHCSA is a good idea sounds like a good company to me. Networking and Linux are very complementary skills (as is CCNA + MCITP). Are they going to help you with training? You will absolutely be employable with those skills.
  • Options
    ToomsTooms Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most people have touched on the certs in here which are not bad, but make sure you learn these things in detail. If you know the routing and the protocols inside out you can pass any cert for any platform minus learning each platform's syntax.

VLANs (know the difference between tagged and untagged traffic)
    Spanning Tree Protocol (from a loop prevent standpoint and design standpoint for fail-over paths)
    OSPF & EIGRP IGP protocols- you should know the basics of this inside and out. OSPF is a standard and EIGRP is Cisco only
    BGP - BGP can go from entry level to very advanced. Try to understand it just from a protocol to share routes between neighbors or an ISP. Don't get caught up in any advanced concepts.
    HSRP/VRRP

You also just need to understand routing period. This comes with understanding what the difference is between layer 2 switching (MACs) and layer 3 routing (IPs). That comes with understanding things like ARP, broadcasts, multicast, etc as well. You'll also learn what protocols trumps the other if they have the same routes along with how specific routes win over more non-specific routes regardless of protocol.

Pay special attention to redistributing routes into protocols. IE: redistribution connected interfaces, etc.

Networking is a very complicated field and it takes a lot of experience and understanding to get much above the basic network administrator role. Go look up a program called GNS3 and tried to build a virtual lab on your PC with Cisco routers.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With a background in RF/Microwave technology, I'm very surprised to not see someone suggest the CWNA.