Options

System engineer job vs tech support job?

Strupar007Strupar007 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
The first job pays £20k, it's a system engineers job where I would be looking after servers, configuring firewalls, switches, server storage etc. The second job is a job where I would be supporting Avaya IP phones remotely from a call centre, it pays £25k but it is mainly a tech support job whereas in the first job, I would be working in a datacenter. I'm thinking about the future, I love networking, I have a degree in networking and a CCNA but I don't know which one has more prospects for the future. I love all aspects of networking.

Comments

• Options
    DJohnsonRoseDJohnsonRose Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    £20K is quite low for a system engineer (I get around the same for system admin) I think that the system engineer job would be better for you. It seems like more fun IMO and from the sound of it you would be exposed to much more, this is always good for progression because it is more things to be certified on. You would have much more options in future with that job title and certifications and experience than a role which is essentially 2nd line.

Just ignore the pay difference, stay for a year or two and get certified on the technology you will actually be using.

This would be better in the long run and would help you later down the line.