Options

IT certifications that can land you a job without a degree???

panther1panther1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are there any IT Certifications, by which one can land a job in the industry without a bachelor degree? Or, is a Degree mandatory eligibility criteria for Jobs in the field of IT?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can land a job without a degree or certifications. These things make it quite easier of course, but they are not hard industry standards by any means.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Certifications will get you the interview (of course with a good resume)
    YOU land the job.
    meh
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I can personally say I got my Job without Certification or a Degree. Heck I didnt get my A+ until 2 years ago and I'v been in this position over 5 years. As Kurosaki said, "YOU land the job" Everything else is just a Checkbox
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    CCNA is pretty highly regarded, as is MCITP:EA.

There are whole Master's programs designed to prepare you for the CISSP certification, but security is hard to get into.

If you want to go Linux, RHCSA is a good starting point.

For help desk, the CompTIA trifecta is pretty impressive: A+, Network+, Security+. (those alone got me my last job)

It really just depends on what you want to do. Like others have said, you don't need a degree or certs, but they will help to get you an interview. During the interview, it doesn't matter what your certs are. You have to prove that you have the skills.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ccie ___________________________
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really think the days of getting in with out a cert or degree are comming to a close. I got into IT over a decade ago with out either but I had some exp from the military. I didn't start getting certs until I started at WGU. You will always hear about this person or that person but I believe on a whole more people are being hired with then without.

With that be said...

An A+ and Net+ and 0 exp might get you a Help Desk or Desktop Support type position
    CCNA should help get you into a Network Tech job, maybe a NOC
    MCSA/MCSE should help get you into a Systems Admin role.

With that, moving from Help Desk/Desktop support is not an easy move with out exp and certs.

The basic recipe for success in IT usually starts with an A+/Net+ and HelpDesk job and moving up with certs and exp in IT into eventually getting to where you would like to be. You could get an AS and a CCNA and might get lucky landing in a network job but even on here I don't see that that often.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I definitely agree eansdad. I'm presently in school for my associates and with no certs or experience it's been tough to find a Help Desk position. I've come close, but the money just hasn't been right or the position was just located a bit too far from me. I'm taking my A+ in February and maybe even my Net+ as well.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certs/Degree will get you noticed (and experience, for that matter). They will not land you a job 99.99 percent of the time. If you have neither certs nor degree, you can still land a job... the more experience, (potentially) the better job that you may land.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started out in IT with a Zoology degree and no IT experience or certs...

OK I am sure if I had had a CCNP and Computing Science Degree I could have jumped in slightly higher, but 7 years later I am managing and designing networks, having moved on from managing a team containing CCNP qualified staff. I don't think not having them to start off with has held me back all that much.

I would say not having a computing degree has probable put me back a year or so. But considering a degree takes 3 years to get, you could argue by not going for one, and going straight in to work you are a year ahead...
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CS degree from a reputable school would be the best case scenario. A couple of internships your junior and senior year you are off to the races. Several of my college mates went that route and they make solid coin. None of which possess a certification.

With that said it really depends on what part of IT you want to go into. Networking is a lot more certification friendly than development, which is what they all went into.

Blanket statements are dangerous, what type of IT work are you looking to get into?
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    My experience echos many around here, I worked in IT now for 6 years without a degree and certifications but have realized that in this job market, you want to make your self as marketable as possible.
  • Options
    Well, I am currently pursuing a BS Computer Science degree, just completed the first semester. The problem is that, I am doing this degree from just an average University. Not a Top-Class Institute. and also these degrees are quite lengthy, extended over 4 years. IT certifications will add a significant weight to my resume, more than the degree.

Now, I don't really know, whether I should carry on with the degree. I don't really know whether it's useful or a waste of time. Even if I do carry on with the degree, I will have to get certified too. That is, after I complete the 4-year degree. This will take more time.

Is it possible to prepare for a certificate, while studying at the university? I heard these exams are extremely tough and one has to devote a lot of time and hard work into it. Has anyone here, given a certification exam, while studying full course load at the University as well? Is it possible?

Talking about my interests, I am not at all interested in Development, because I don't like programming. Although, I am good at it, I just dont want it as a career. I am interested in Networks and Security(ethical hacking, auditing type of stuff).
  • Options
    I'm currently finishing up my Associates this year and I'm also studying for my A+ exam and then Net+ exam. I would definitely say finish up school and study for your exams as well. I have a programming course this semester as well and I'm not fond of it, but it's one of the requirements.
  • Options
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    I'm currently finishing up my Associates this year and I'm also studying for my A+ exam and then Net+ exam. I would definitely say finish up school and study for your exams as well. I have a programming course this semester as well and I'm not fond of it, but it's one of the requirements.

hmm..yeah..I think I should stick with the degree as well, and after taking the relevant courses at the University. I will try sitting for the Relevant Exams.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    panther1 wrote: »
    hmm..yeah..I think I should stick with the degree as well, and after taking the relevant courses at the University. I will try sitting for the Relevant Exams.

You should really consider WGU. The degree is very comparable to a no-name/state school and you can finish in half the time or less and get certifications as you go along. In 3 years at a state school, I got 90 semester credits; 60 of which transferred to WGU. Then in 6 months I got 60 CUs at WGU and was finished with my bachelors as well as CCNA. They are also a non-profit so very reasonable prices.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you look at the government side, security+ is almost always a requirement, ITILv3 Foundations is quickly becoming a requirement. But these are general IT certifications, if you want specialized Microsoft, or Cisco will definitely get you noticed.

Certifications will help your resume not make the recycling bin. Getting the job will be on your shoulders.

Oh and Linux is a very hot commodity from what I am seeing
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Linux is definitely picking up steam from what I've seen.
  • Options
    pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    I'd like to also say that a lot of jobs are WHO you know. Once you get your foot in the door future jobs can be had just by making industry contacts and experience and having people believe in you and your skills.

If you know someone that can vouch for you that goes a long way into getting a job in any field really.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got both of my IT jobs with having any certs. But I do have an AS.

Just impress them in the interview
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certs fade. Degrees stick. Do both, but the degree will provide greater return on investment.

Speaking from experience, a college degree is worth 10x to me than a cert. It shows that you applied yourself over time. I can't count how many times I simply couldn't get in the door because I had an associates and NOT a bachelors degree, but I had the right skills. That drove me nuts!! The bachelors is now the standard for almost everything I see, especially when the job is designed off of someone who was doing the job that had one. I've even heard it doesn't matter as much that you have an IT-specific degree, just that you have put in the effort of getting one and further developing yourself.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pcgizzmo wrote: »
    I'd like to also say that a lot of jobs are WHO you know. Once you get your foot in the door future jobs can be had just by making industry contacts and experience and having people believe in you and your skills.

If you know someone that can vouch for you that goes a long way into getting a job in any field really.

Indeed, a recommendation from a respected individual and Experience count for more than degree and certs.

you can have certs coming out your ears and a stack of degree and still not be any good in the real world. But a recommendation from a respected and know person in your field carried a lot of weight.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think this thread pops up at least once a month. At the end of the day, you need to choose the road that works best for you and your situation. I dont think there is any one cert that will guarantee you a job without experience or a degree. There same goes for a degree. No degree will guarantee you a job without certs or experience. However, i would say you have a better chance at getting the job you want by opening more doors for yourself. Early in your career, certs will likely open more doors and better your chance to get the job you want. Once you get into the middle of your career(maybe after 5 or 10 years) that Degree is going to have way more value.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rules. However, you should always do your best to give yourself the best chance of getting a job. Not going after a degree just because you know someone who was successful without one will likely come back to bite you someday.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA is the closet you'll find. There is major value still in this certification I would recommend this to anyone who A loves networking, B undecided.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    /thread
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285

Dead on.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson